Discuss VFD tripping breaker in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

patrolin

DIY
Reaction score
hey guys
had to replace the VFD on my lathe. running off 240v single phase to 3 phase to control the motor in delta config.
i wired the new vfd up as per the last one, which is a different brand. hooked up active and neutral, then the ground to the chassis screw, when plugged in instantly trips breaker, take off earth and it doesnt trip, if i test between house earth(while disconnected to vfd) and chassis of vfd i get 110volts, i also get voltage between chassis of vfd and active and nuetral while the vfd is running, i havent used or touched the vfd because i dont trust it being live. wondering if this seems like the vfd is shorting to the body of it?

Greetings from London. May I clarify a few things with you please?

1. What is the make and model of the VFD?

2. Please take some photos of the set-up to show me how everything is connected together and plugged in.

3. Please show on a photo or drawing how you took the voltage measurements and what test equipment you used.

4. What actually 'tripped'? What is a circuit breaker or a residual current circuit breaker (earth fault detector)?

5. What is the machinery that is being supplied? A picture of the specification plates of the machine and the motor that drives it would be helpful.

6. How did you you set-up the vfd parameters?

7. What is the voltage and frequency of your mains supply?

8. How does you property obtain an earth? I rod in the ground? A conductor or the armouring on the incoming supply?

Where are you in NSW?

May I ask what experience you have with VSD's, their could be many issues here from simple to quite complex so need to establish how to respond and how to word the responses to tailor to your experiences.

As above please provide full details of drive and also request you provide the info of what exactly is tripping, is it an earth leakage device or just an standard circuit breaker?

I would also need you to confirm if you bought a model with an integral filter or whether you purchased and fitted one separately or have not done so?

Last edited:

Reply to VFD tripping breaker in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net