Discuss viable replacement options for 8' fluorescents in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

somersetsparks

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all,
Been asked to quote for replacing 150 8' fluorescents on light line trunking, the fittings are on for 18 hours a day and access to many is difficult, many of the fittings are original 1967 cromptons still going strong! have been looking at replacement options, just wanted opinions of the forum.
So far the options are...
Thorn twin 6' t8 high frequency fittings circa £26
Crompack LED fittings (5' equivalent)circa £106 each
T5 flurries (haven't priced yet)

So far, I can't see much advantage in the LED fittings, they output lower amounts of lumens per fitting and still only manage 96lm/w. Compared to a 70w t8 at 89lm/w.
Another consideration is the distance between the lines of lighting trunking, flurries give a good spread whereas Led's tend to be a bit more localised.
Also lifespan is an issue as I don't want to be on repeated call backs for faulty fittings and I'm not 100% convinced by LED lifespans yet.
Final point is price, convincing someone to buy fittings at more then four times the cost may be an issue!
Any input much appreciated

I would personally price for two options. 1 with LED and the other with T8s. Also do a yearly cost saving comparison if LEDs were fitted over T8s. With the number of lights and the 18 hour day running they may well pay for themselves after 10 years. As you said some of the fittings are not the easiest to get so factor in low maintenance costs using LED over T8.

Also why not look at high/low bay fittings if you have the height?

The problem with replacement led fitting is the colour rendering index, or cri, most 18w led tubes we replace, under all factors give the equivalent of 70w fluorescent output in normal white at 5500k. At £60 they will certainly cut the electric bill down by more than half

As there are so many to replace, could you get the client to agree to changing a small number first, to ensure you don't have a nightmare when you've changed them all?

If there is a certain amount of light being let in to the building you could also go for day light harvesting fittings (thorn make an impact resistant fitting with this capability). You can also get the same fitting with a different sensor that has day light harvesting capabilities and is also a PIR. You can calculate pay back periods for this, it's going to be a bit more of an outlay initially but will end up paying for its self.

you could also get them out to site to make calculations for lux levels etc.

I would also stay away from LED tubes. Get proper LED fittings. With regard to lighting levels, any manufacturer will plot this on a drawing for you. Especially if you may order 150. Thorn have a great programme for this on their website.

Cheers for replies, the LED tubes seem a viable option, I still like the T8 hf thorns though, I fitted 60 in the same place 7 years ago, 50% are still on the same tubes so way more then a 20000 hour life span and only had 1 ballast fail that I'm aware of, high bays and low bays are out of the question even though there is enough height, the customer was happy with the 8' flurries but tube availability has prompted replacement

We have replaced nursing homes with led lighting, with great success. More light, more than 50% lower bills. Emergency and normal fitting all combine in neater corridors, with maintenance guy no running around replacing tubes every day. This photo is a 2 year old installation still going strong, with pir switching and every 3rd fitting being EM, more light, looks neater, saves money.
viable replacement options for 8' fluorescents 2013-09-17 19.22.35 - EletriciansForums.net

If there is a certain amount of light being let in to the building you could also go for day light harvesting fittings (thorn make an impact resistant fitting with this capability). You can also get the same fitting with a different sensor that has day light harvesting capabilities and is also a PIR. You can calculate pay back periods for this, it's going to be a bit more of an outlay initially but will end up paying for its self.

you could also get them out to site to make calculations for lux levels etc.

Very little natural light to be honest, and the whole place is busy so very little point in PIR'S either.
Probably just stick with standard switching in this place but thanks for the suggestion

We have replaced nursing homes with led lighting, with great success. More light, more than 50% lower bills. Emergency and normal fitting all combine in neater corridors, with maintenance guy no running around replacing tubes every day. This photo is a 2 year old installation still going strong, with pir switching and every 3rd fitting being EM, more light, looks neater, saves money.
View attachment 27658

Looks very nice. I am a big fan of LED fittings. Especially in hard to maintain areas.

We changed 220 in Just this one home over a 2 year period, would say on average we had 35 plus per lighting circuit...no flashing or flickering, very happy with the company we used Simple Lighting, gave good discounts.

FWIW, the last time I looked at this (about a month ago) T8 HF tubes were putting out 10% more lumes / watt than the best LED tubes. About 103 from memory, depends on exactly which tubes you use. When I factored in tube change to get a like for like duration of 25000 hours, it was still miles cheaper than LED. Also the light spread from a tube is just so much better than LED. Maybe in a couple of years they can be better but in my view unless a tube change is very difficult its still T8 for 6ft fittings as a direct replacement for 8ft.

Looks very nice. I am a big fan of LED fittings. Especially in hard to maintain areas.
When it gets too big like Kings cross, all em lighting is auto tested in zones by Advanced lite panel....then the panel tells you when to change lamp or battery on its self test

FWIW, the last time I looked at this (about a month ago) T8 HF tubes were putting out 10% more lumes / watt than the best LED tubes. About 103 from memory, depends on exactly which tubes you use. When I factored in tube change to get a like for like duration of 25000 hours, it was still miles cheaper than LED. Also the light spread from a tube is just so much better than LED. Maybe in a couple of years they can be better but in my view unless a tube change is very difficult its still T8 for 6ft fittings as a direct replacement for 8ft.

I really think its buy a try at the moment, Ive heard good and bad from different guys using different manufactures, at the moment were happy with our supplier and service, if it changes then we move on.

Reply to viable replacement options for 8' fluorescents in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock