Discuss Vintage Pyrotenax training video in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

overskilled

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Thought it might be of interest to some

Terminating a Pyrotenax Mineral Insulated (MI) Cable - YouTube

Looks like early to mid 80s (or even 70s possibly, though the white jeans say 1980s dress sense...)...from the style of film and voiceover...

Understood most of it, but reckon its something that I'd have to do to get my head around....and as a domestic spark it's something that I don't get to justify the use of too often...sadly as it would probably outlast me and the next generation also....

Much better explanation.....
Might give it a crack at somepoint...Garage wired in MICC....and here I was thinking wiring it in SWA was overkill.....garage will fall down before the cable fails either way....lol[video=youtube;iufXR6bLGtE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufXR6bLGtE[/video]

The video in opening post must have been seventies, as the disc was the old type where you had to place the sleeving through the holes in the disc, where the more recent ones were plastic discs like the second video.

All these new fangled tools

What was wrong with a steel bar with a slot in it to strip the outer?

And a roll of sleeving and beads (that'll bring back memories for a few).

It’s a pity my scanner has decided it doesn’t like me anymore. I’ve an installation manual for 1950’s Reyrolle switchgear. It has a large section on Pyrotenax control wiring showing termination to the protection panels.

I’ll bet non of you have used Ross Courtney terminations, so much better for terminating solid cores to stud connections than lugs.

The fashion sense in the first video might be influenced by the fact it's American. Also the colour code - it looks funny with black/white/red sleeving, and the NPT threads on the glands in their other video. I was hoping we'd get to see Ms. Ashworth terminate a cable in the Bailey's one! I taught a girlfriend to do pyro once, we had some fun with it but I don't think it was a skill she would have ever used again. I was taught when I was about 12, both by the sparks at my school and by a mentor who was an early user of Pyro in the UK and who also gave me my first instruction in conduit work.

Ross Courtney terminations
I'm keeping my stock for panel repairs, I have a few sizes but never the ones I want. I could do with a bucket load of 2BA and 0BA.

A reminder to anyone hoarding old pyro accessories especially complete packs of imperial stuff that you will never use again, or old green sealant or any such thing that ought to be in the museum, send it in! Also if you come into contact with rewires stripping out long runs of imperial cable or large numbers of clean terminations, let me know, I can potentially offer a better rate than the scrappie if it helps us make up displays.

Reply to Vintage Pyrotenax training video in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock