Discuss volex rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SPARTYKUS

hi

just a quick one,

as far as I'm aware, RCD's (with two poles, specifically the VOLEX VR80 30mA) don't care which side the Line or Neutral go in.

Am I right?

Or is this model a special case?

Can't think why, I know it works on an inbalance betwixt L-N, and the bumpf says you can wire it up either way, horizontally or vertically.

EDIT : when I say either way I mean the feed can go in the top or bottom.

?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on how the test function has been implemented, wiring it the wrong way around could cause the test function to either not work at all or create a phase-earth fault the wrong side of the RCD which obviously isn't protected.

Edit: Scratch that. It only applies to old school devices that don't have a test coil wound on to the toroid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to volex rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'll start by saying - I have absolutely no intention of doing any wiring or anything electrical myself. You get someone professional to do a...
Replies
Views
I'm doing a college design project and need to choose a suitable range of circuit protective devices for the whole contact. I've chosen and...
Replies
Views
Have an existing old client with what's best described as a sprawling small-holding of a property. There's an armoured external supply which...
Replies
Views
Hi all,looking for some pointers to an RCD problem, I work entirely on large poultry farms, I've only been in post a year, at some point before I...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock