Discuss Volt Drop Calculation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

easymart

Appendix 4 in the regs has tables for Current-Carrying Capacity and Voltage drop.

I've used these many times with no problems, but i've never had to calculate a cable higher than 25mm.
when you look at cables 25mm and higher you see three values for mV/A/m (r, x, & z).

Using the calulation

mV/A/m x Ib x L = VD

Which value do I use for mV/A/m? r, x or z? What are the differences between the values? do I have to add them together or do another calculation first?

any help would be cool, cheers guys

Appendix 4 in the regs has tables for Current-Carrying Capacity and Voltage drop.

I've used these many times with no problems, but i've never had to calculate a cable higher than 25mm.
when you look at cables 25mm and higher you see three values for mV/A/m (r, x, & z).

Using the calulation

mV/A/m x Ib x L = VD

Which value do I use for mV/A/m? r, x or z? What are the differences between the values? do I have to add them together or do another calculation first?

any help would be cool, cheers guys
Voltage Drop Calculator JavaScript
Hope this helps

ok got this written in my BRB.

R = Resistive load of cable
X =Reactive load of Cable
Z = Imedance of cable.

It start to get into the power factor correction of the cable its self not 100% sure but the Electrical installation Design guide page 58 says if the power factor of the load is not known use the impedance value of the cabe (z)

ok got this written in my BRB.

R = Resistive load of cable
X =Reactive load of Cable
Z = Imedance of cable.

It start to get into the power factor correction of the cable its self not 100% sure but the Electrical installation Design guide page 58 says if the power factor of the load is not known use the impedance value of the cabe (z)

Thats helped loads, thanks.
I've got the design guide, so the page number was great, had a read through the section and it all makes sense now, cheers.

mV/A/m x Ib x L = VD

mv/A/m- get info from the tables for cable type BRB appendix 4
ID is the circuit desighn current.
L lenght of run.

As you are using mv devide all by 1000 to get true volt drop.

Re: cable calculation

can anyone tell me how to do cable calculation

You first have to work out the design current (Ib) of the circuit, then you can choose the size of protective device (In) then you have to work out the size of cable (It) needed using the correction factors

Ib / Ca x Ci x Cg x Cr = It

Ca = correction factor for ambiant temp
Ci = correction factor for thermal insulation
Cg = grouping factor
Cr = correction factor for BS3036 fuse

Remember that It>In>Ib

you use the tables in appendix 4 to choose the type and size of cable to use ensuring that the current carrying capacity of the cable is higher than or equal to It.

you then check for voltage drop using the previously mentioned equation.

You'll need to use your regs for all the correction factors and current carying cappacities the cables.
Also check the regs to make sure my info is correct, this is all off the top of my head so i may have forgotten something, or got something wrong.:D I dont have mine to hand.:D
hope this helps.

Reply to Volt Drop Calculation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock