Discuss Volt drop on wind turbines? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Crosswire

Is there a noticeable volt drop on the output of wind turbines that would prevent them being situated too far from a dwelling?

Reason I ask is that my my parents declined a wind turbine ( to part supply a 3 bed detached house) as they were told that it would have to be located adjacent to the building , and as a result they would suffer from noise.

When I asked why it couldn't be located at the end of the garden, they told me that would be "too far away to be useful". I am guessing someone told them this, and I wondered if it is true.

All input appreciated :)

no.

there is volt drop down the cable, but that can be solved by increasing the CSA of the cable, though this obviously increases the cost so might not be viable if it's just one of the tiny chocolate teapot type few hundred watts if you're lucky wind turbines.

also the wind is usually going to be better away from the building.

I'd suggest that they talk to a company that actually knows what they're doing.

Hmmm, the place they live is on the southwest coast of Ireland in a remote and windswept corner.

There is an abundance of wind , but a scarcity of competent trades persons, especially when it comes to newer technologies.

They opted for solar ( which supplies all the hot water they need, adequately), despite the fact it never stops raining there.

I just feel they are missing a trick by ignoring the wind option.

They sould go for the wind turbine in that area, whoever told them that is doing everybody a diservess, perhaps they just wanted to sell them some pv. there are some good companies in Ireland to help them along, i'm in Wales and we get simalar things said to potential turbine customers.

Reply to Volt drop on wind turbines? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net