Discuss volt drop or not in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

shocked

Hi all
My question is this
If a submain is run off the No.1 C/U to a No. 2 C/U, when we calculate the cable sizes for the C/U2 final circuits do we use the volt drop value of the sub main or do we use the 230v value ???
thanks for any help
john

i would take the worst scenario and go from the main CU.

Hi shocked,

requirements for BS7671 are satisfied when volt drop is measured form the origin of the installation (telectrix beat me to it!). :)

Best thing to do is make sure the sub main supplying the final circuit has a very low volt drop, so it may need to be a fair bit bigger than expected even for it's current carrying capacity.

I spec my submains so that there is no more than 1% volt drop between the origin and the end of the submain.

This may sound a daft question could you take a "reading" at the first CU and the 2nd CU to assess the actual volt drop?

The reason I ask is that I've just been to see a job which has 2 CU's in place and the customer wants at least 3 new circuits added to the 2nd CU. All the cabling is underground and existing and "stated" to be good enough!

Thanks

you can only measure volt drop with a full load on the circuit/s. yo will have to calculate your loading and factor in the cable from CU1 to CU2. and then calculate cable size for a max. drop of 11.5v

As I thought - the 2nd CU has very little (currently) connected so the "load" would be negligible - he wants a ring circuit added, along with a lighting circuit.

Main problem is he is a "typical" customer who simply doesn't understand the requirements we have to abide with and add cost!

Last edited by a moderator:
If your putting lights on the CU then you have to use 3%. To be honest if you have 230 volts at the 2nd CU and it's existing cable then I wouldn't worry to much about it.

If you were getting a volt drop taking you down below 205 volts then you should be concerned. If you have 230volts at that CU then a single lighting and ring final circuit should not cause you a problem

I would calculate the volt drop for supply to the submain and add it to the volt drop for the individual circuits supplied by the submain. Using Vd =(Ib x mV/A/M x L) / 1000

The %s are always worked out against 230V even if it is greater (which it usually is) as 230V (+10% or-6%?) is all that is guaranteed by the supplier.

thanks all
like with MURDOCK if the submain is existing how would you calculate whether you can add extra circuits and still comply with voltdrop ???
john

Reply to volt drop or not in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock