Discuss volt drop query in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

zone77

-
Reaction score
When doing a volt drop calc for a sub board, is the max volt drop 5%(11.5v) ( the sub board feeds lighting and power circuits) or is it reduced to 3% (6.9v):confused:

Does it not matter if its for public or commercial use, or am I confused?.

Just looked in BRB and it says

Public lighting 3% other 5%

Private 6% other 8%

Ah and just reading your post agian I see your point I would go with 5%.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the sub-main is feeding lighting circuits, the the max VD from the origin to the end of the lighting circuit fed from the sub-main DB is 3%.

VD is calculated from the origin of an installation in this case the house so you must include the sub-main as part of the lighting circuit.

This is from the ECA.....

Answer by the ECA: The overall voltage drop limit is 3% (6.9V) single-phase, if the sub-main is feeding lighting circuits.

Zone 77 it dosnt matter where it is. f its from the public supply thw max volt drop from Origin is
lighting 3%
power 5%

When its designed you will find distribution cables may be oversizes so less volt drop so it can be allowed for on the final circuits.

Reply to volt drop query in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice on a volt drop query we have in our office. I'll explain the scenario and I would really appreciate any...
Replies
Views
Old two core cable in a lighting circuit with no cpc at any point All points had metal fixtures and fittings class1 At two points the live loop...
Replies
Views
Hello, New trainee electrician so sorry if this is a dumb question I feel confident with calculating the volt drop for a ring and radial circuit...
Replies
Views
Why is this still a thing, just done a quick calculation with the TLC volt drop calculator and if its a non lighting circuit the recommended size...
Replies
Views
Hi. Im looking for some advice when calculating submain cables. Basically there is a new connection of 80Amps that is to be used for a dwelling...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock