Discuss volt drop query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markc17

Hi all,

Am wiring in some lights in a carpark..
The total distance is 150m
there are 4 lighting posts rated as follows A-200w B-300W C-300W D200W (with A closest to CU)
All loads are LED
They are spread at distances of
CU - A = 30m
A-B = 40m
B-C = 40m
C-D = 40m
Having done my volt drop calcs using 2.5 2c pvc armoured i get a total added Vd of 7.02

Firstly, if anybody can be bothered is this correct?

Secondly,I am aware that the regs state 6.9v as the highest allowed Vd... is there any breathing room with LED loads?

And lastly, if i do have to up my cable size, is it ok for me to use 4.0mm for the first leg of the circuit (CU-A), and then 2.5mm for the rest? This brings total Vd in at 6.

Any help appreciated,

for the cost difference, i'd use 6.0mm to A. then 2.5mm from there. have you done your |VD calcs from point to point? i.e --- V @ A, the XXXX V @ B. rtc.

yep.. worked out each leg then added them up. Is only so slightly over.. perhaps right.. 6mm for the first 30m bring it in under 6 VD

agreed...
thanks. Best to use 6 mm at the beginning? or 2 lots of 4mm then 2.5?

don't forget that your OCPD needs to be selected for the |CCC of the smallest cable.

Volt drops for each leg with different sizes of cable, totals at the end.

30m40m40m40mTotal
A4.348 3.478 2.174 0.870
2.5mm[SUP]2[/SUP]2.352.51.570.637.05
4.0mm[SUP]2[/SUP]0.951.530.960.383.82
6.0mm[SUP]2[/SUP]0.761.020.630.252.66

Just pick and choose to work out which is the easiest and most efficient in terms of cost and cable runs.

Secondly,I am aware that the regs state 6.9v as the highest allowed Vd... is there any breathing room with LED loads?

Where does it state that then?

And lastly, if i do have to up my cable size, is it ok for me to use 4.0mm for the first leg of the circuit (CU-A), and then 2.5mm for the rest? This brings total Vd in at 6.

What is the voltage tolerace of the LED lighting? Remember you're working to this, not the nominal.

If your LEDs will work between say 200V-250V then you can afford to drop 30V between cutout and last lamp.

Reply to volt drop query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock