Discuss volt drop? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

f1ngerz

hi im struggling with volt drop , the circuit is 6mm 2core swa , run under ground , 220M long ,supplying a transformer charging batterys for a gate system rated at 5A.
Can anyone help me and give me the formula for the calculation? Thanks:confused:

You need to know load or design current in Amps (Ib), Length in metres (L) and mV/A/m which for 6mm 2core armoured is 7.3.

Then use formula (7.3 x Ib x L) / 1000 = drop in Volts.

(7.3*5*220)/1000 = 8.03. So okay if 5A is your only load and no lights. Max allowable drop is 5% of 230V which is 11.5. Or 3% (6.9V) for lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the full 5A as the circuit design current (Ib) the calc is as follows......

VD = mV/A/m x Ib x L / 1000, which using your figures gives us......7.3 x 5 x 220 / 1000 = 8.03A. Surprisingly within the tolerance 5% of 230V which is 11.5V.

Reply to volt drop? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone, I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help to get my college project calculations right. I'm about to start my 2nd year in...
Replies
Views
Just taken deilvery of an Electric Car (Mini Electric) and so doing some research into installing a charge point. Supply is a standard Single...
Replies
Views
Hi guys & gals, I gave in and bought the new Megger MFT-X1. Got my hands on it Friday night, had a little play with it, used it at work on Monday...
Replies
Views
Hope this all makes as much sense as i can make of it and my "problem" can get sorted via some guru on here... Just a quick background on myself...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m after some advice. I’ll cut to the chase but I can give more detail if needed. A 400A sub main supply needs to be ran 100m, a pretty...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock