Discuss Volt drop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
Ok you do all your calculations to determine your volt drop and your calcs come back that the volt drop is just above the 5% allowed ok I no it dosnt conform to bs7671 and you should increase the csa of the cable to next size up but what effect or could some one explain in simple terms the problem we could face if we didn't

Most obvious is that some fluorescents wont fire up or keep dropping out.
TBH i often look at the supply voltage as well cos i keep coming across quite high voltages often in excess of 240, so a bit of drop is sometimes welcome.
Not BS7671, i know, but how the DNo get away with supplying 253V makes 5% somewhat irrelevant.
If your supply is already at the lower end e.g. 220 then you really dont want to drop anymore as lighting will be less effective, heating will take longer to work, but at least electronic equipemnt should be OK.
Dont forget its also based on how much current you will pull in your calcs :)

I do voltage drop calcs at the nominal voltage of 230v. You can measure the DNO's voltage one day and find it to be different the next day! It's hardly a major issue in most cases, unless you have very long cable runs and/or huge loads.

Reply to Volt drop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi All, Just looking for some advice: I'm in the process of updating an old cable calc spreadsheet that helps to spit out Zs and Voltage Drop...
Replies
Views
Just curious as to when people are calculating volt drop, how close you allow your calculations to get to the 3% and 5% values before you decide...
Replies
Views
Think I may have been oversizing cables for some three phase circuits... For example, when ive calculated a 11.5V volt drop on a general circuit...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in Mexico, where I have a small, un-official trailer park on my property. The property is serviced by my privately owned, 650amp...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I've installed a Lorex doorbell recently, but it is not turning on. I did some tests using a multimeter and this is what I found...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock