Discuss Volt reading across N and cpc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As above, the maximum N-CPC voltage that should be measured at the far end of the circuit, is half the permissible volt drop. 5% x 230V /2 = 5.75V. That is the drop along the length of the neutral conductor (the other 5.75V is in the line). If N & E are at the same potential at the origin, they must be 5.75V apart at the end of the circuit.

But returning to the OP's problem, all the evidence points to the neutral being disconnected at the source end, therefore floating for the whole length of the cable. Because of its length, there is quite a high capacitance between L & N, and between N & E, which can pass enough current to give a steady indication on a voltmeter or MFT. It's an extreme case of 'ghost voltage' if you like.

The big clue is that the voltage L-N and N-CPC add up to 'about 230V' so it is working like a voltage divider, with 147V of the 247V supply across L-N and the remaining 100V across N-CPC. The difference is accounted for by the difference in capacitance. Because the CPC (armour) has a greater surface area facing the floating N conductor than the line, its stray capacitance is higher, its capacitive reactance lower and therefore the neutral will float to a voltage somewhat less than half of the supply, in this case 100V.

Is this final circuit safe? What is the touch voltage of earthed metalwork in the event of a direct fault connection between the line and earthed metalwork at the socket end?

Reply to Volt reading across N and cpc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi guys. Having a weird problem in a house that has suddenly happened. One half of the ring main has 240ish volts (fluctuates of course), and...
Replies
Views
Over the last few days, I have stumbled across a number of threads that seem to point to a prevalent misunderstanding. Either that, or I have been...
Replies
Views
Just interested in peoples thinking on using the neutral through the earthing system like I came across today. I've come across many wrong...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Looking for help here as I've come across a strange call-out today. Bare with me here: Got a call from a customer saying they had...
Replies
Views
Looking for some guidance here. I'm currently shadowing a guy and we're testing a new extension on a school. 3 phase TNCS supply from the original...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock