Discuss Voltage / Continuity Testers - feedback required in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest55

Noon all ,

I need a new set of Voltage / Continuity test probes and was wondering if anyone has had probs
with their testers tripping out rcd's / rcbo's whilst measuring voltage ??
If so please name and shame so i can avoid.
Any other input on whats good or bad is also welcome.

Quite like the look of these , metrel digi testers , anyone use them ?
Voltage / Continuity  Testers  - feedback required metrel-handyman-tek950-lcd-voltage-detector-2207- - EletriciansForums.net

The ones with LEDs they all trip the RCD. I have a really oldfashioned one with neons ( relic from the seventies) it doesn't trip the RCD.

my fluke T3 don't trip RCDs and that's LED

my Di-Log doesn't trip the RCD. it's the DL6780. in hindsight i wish i had got the DL6790 which has a LCD display, handy for checking LV transformers, meauring resistances etc without having to get the MFT out. the only reason i decided not to get one with an LCD display is because i was told that if i had one with an LCD display then it would need calibrated every year like my MFT...

^^^ yeah , i definately prefer a lcd readout with actual numbers , cant be arsed decifering flashing leds.
good work men , keep the comments coming.
as for calibrating , i wont bother with voltage testers , they're just for day to day jobbing , i've got a fluke for the super accurate measurements.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the fluke T5, as it's also got an open jaw clamp meter. very useful.

i like the fluke T5, as it's also got an open jaw clamp meter. very useful.

would you believe i was given one as free issue whilst working for county council.
excellent unit but it stopped reading dc voltage after a few years ( which i need for auto electrics ) so i gave it away to a collegue who had his tools robbed.

I've got an old Stienel led only , it trips the rcd's , but I like it to much to replace it.

i have a similar one now ( voltage only ) , very simple and nowt to go wrong but i need a more modern set with more features.

My fluke will trip an rcd if the live-earth is taken without first taking the live-neutral

Seen them and look good , feature packed , but @ £70-80 more than i want to spend
the metrels i pictured first i can get for £35
I've 2 sets of the Megger units. Very good testers :)

i use a fluke, mine wont trip rcds because i read the instructions, charge it on the incomer for a few seconds first bingo.. no trip.

Reply to Voltage / Continuity Testers - feedback required in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock