Discuss Voltage drop and ZS - Some thoughts in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pencilpusher

Hi all

The scenario: Garden power supply to be taken from a 13am FCU spurred from a RFC. It then goes off to a double socket and lighting etc. No grief there. (RCD protection on RFC BTW!)

The spur is protected by a BS1363 13amp plug top fuse. Which ZS max do we use? Is it the ZS from the 13 amp fuse or from the origin, a 32 amp type B CB. My take is that it is the 13 amp fuse ZS.

Secondly, is voltage drop measured from the origin. ie around the RFC to the spur and then onto the garden lighting and power etc? or from the spurred position only.

Just a couple of things bugging me.

Thanks PP

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO both from the MCB in the CU. because the spur from the RFC is a part of the RFC circuit. it is not a circuit in it's own right.

When considering fault protection I would hope that your MCB at the board will disconnect faster then the BS 1363 Fuse. Though both should do it within 0.4 seconds for a final circuit on a TN system, in reality a MCB will do it in 0.1. In this case where I would spur of a RFC I also took both Zs and put them both on the EIC/MIEWC.

But to be honest as we are talking sockets and therefore the use of an RCD I would only really be putting on the Cert 1667

Technically yes VD should be taken from origin. So you take it from A-B CU to RFC Socket and then B-C RFC socket to Light, because the light will be 3%

must be a 1st. only just come on a few minutes ago. lazy morning so far.

Can you guarantee that the fuse will give you the disconnection time you'd need (no) and as you're relying on the RCD for protection for equipment in the garden you need the "cooperation" of the RCD, so I'd say right back to the MCB/RCD.

your MCB at the board will disconnect faster then the BS 1363 Fuse.

always assuming that the 1363 is a fuse and not silver paper courtesy of messrs benson and hedges, or a bit of 1.5mm.

your MCB at the board will disconnect faster then the BS 1363 Fuse.

always assuming that the 1363 is a fuse and not silver paper courtesy of messrs benson and hedges, or a bit of 1.5mm.

I hope you are not suggesting I would do that ?! :53:

I'd have said max Zs for the 1363 fuse - it is after all the protective device for that bit of the circuit.
If the Zs is too high to trip the MCB in time I don't see a problem as long as it trips the 1363 in time.

I'd have said max Zs for the 1363 fuse - it is after all the protective device for that bit of the circuit.
If the Zs is too high to trip the MCB in time I don't see a problem as long as it trips the 1363 in time.

I had a feeling this may start an interesting debate!

The new sockets in the Shed will need to have RCD protection, so though you can achieve that with an RCD socket itself, 99 times out of 100 the RCD will be placed on the circuit itself.

If that is the case then the ZS will be 1667

The new sockets in the Shed will need to have RCD protection, so though you can achieve that with an RCD socket itself, 99 times out of 100 the RCD will be placed on the circuit itself.

If that is the case then the ZS will be 1667

Yes. The garden sockets will be protected by the RFC RCD at source.

Can you up the cable size to 4mm for the spur from the RFC? Assuming you're calculating it at 2.5mm ATM.

Err no. The customer has already had the builders install 2.5mm SWA under the new patio. Its been left for connection. I don't have too many worries about the VD or ZS but it just started me thinking about ZS and VD generally TBH with these scenarios.

Err no. The customer has already had the builders install 2.5mm SWA under the new patio. Its been left for connection. I don't have too many worries about the VD or ZS but it just started me thinking about ZS and VD TBH. I
Ah, OK. I thought you were having a VDrop issue because of the planned length of that part of the circuit.

Ah, OK. I thought you were having a VDrop issue because of the planned length of that part of the circuit.

Not really but this whole thing got me thinking. I am afraid I am a bit like that. Think of another scenario whilst dealing with one already. I suppose i just like to get my head around everything and this is the best place to do that!

I ahree with a few of theposts. I list the FCU (unless used for isolation purposes only, ie under a worktop) as a seperate circuit, and give it its own R1+R2, and Zs. This is an acceptable method of acheiving compliance with high Zs on a socket ect on a radial circuit for example.. Its also good for recording where reduced size cables are used from an FCU, say top feed lights ect.
With an FCU, that has an RCD protection at the origin, then 1667 will be the max Z, as that protectionwill operate before the 1363 fuse.

Reply to Voltage drop and ZS - Some thoughts in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock