Discuss "Voltage Drop" Please help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johnohagan

Hi folks Iknow this topic has been beaten to death on this forum but after reading some of the posts and speaking to some of my co workers I am still a littleconfused, I am aware there is several ways of calculating voltage drop but amstill unsure of when to use the correction factor of 1.2 and when to leave itout I have some examples below could you folks look at them and tell me if theyare the correct methods and when to use the 1.2 and when to leave it out. Thankyou

1. Calculate the voltagedrop for a 2.5 cable supplying a radial socket 22 meters long operating at anambient temperature of 30°C and having a operating temperature of 70°C and adesign current of 16 Amps the voltage drop is 18 mV/A/m, calculate the overallvoltage drop
    Voltage Drop= (mV/A/m) x Ib x L
    Where mV/A/m= milivolts per amp per meter.
    IB- is the design current.
    L -is the length
Voltage Drop

18x 16 x22 = 6336 mV

6336/ 1000 = v

6.33V

1. Ifa 10mm 3 core cable has a length of 80meters and is supplying a 9KW shower at avoltage of 230volts, operating at 20°c. Conductor resistance for 10mm copperconductor is 1.83m/mtr

Voltage Drop = (r1 +rn)x L x Ib
    Voltage Drop = voltagedrop
    (r1 + rn) = Conductorresistance
    L = Correctiontemperature (30°) (1)
    L= Correction temperature(20°) (1.2)
    Ib = Circuit RatedCurrent
9000/230 = 39.13A so theBreaker size 40A

1.83m/ mtr x 80 = 146.4m

146.4/1000 = 0.146 and 0.146 x 2

(r1 + rn) = 0.2928

Vd = (r1 +rn) x L x Ib

(0.2928) x 1.2 x 40A

= 14.05 V

1. A radial circuit is fed from a 16A mcb the value of the combined conductors are 0.29ohms,calculate the volts drop for the circuit, and determine if the value isacceptable?
Ohms lawI X R
16 X .29 = 4.64 v

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally when calculating volt drop you are using design values of volt drop that are given in BS7671 as at the maximum operating temperature (70°C or 90°C as appropriate) therefore there is not normally any reason to make adjustments for the temperature.

However if you were using measured values of the resistance of a conductor (that would likely be around 20°C) then in order to get this value to be equivalent to the tabulated values you would then multiply the measured resistance by 1.2 to get the resistance at 70°C and use that in your calculation.

In your calculations above it is not defined which values are being used.
The first question is using the 70°C values for 2.5mm² conductors so no correction should be applied.
(I would round 6336/1000 up to 6.34 V)

The second question is using the 20°C values for a single 10mm² conductor.
So 1.83mΩ * 1.2 = 2.2mΩ @70°C

r1 + rn = 2.2 x 2 =4.4mΩ

Vd = 4.4 * 80 *39.13 /1000 = 13.77 V

Using the design current not the breaker size.

The third question does not specify and since there is no length then the reference temperature cannot be determined by back calculation.
There is no design current specified so taking the worst case scenario of 16A as the design current performing your calculation may well be correct.
If it were specified that the 0.29 Ω was measured at 20°C then multiplying by 1.2 to get the 70°C value would adjust the resistance to 0.348 Ω.

Reply to "Voltage Drop" Please help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock