Discuss Voltage is 50, instead of 220 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

winayetun

DIY
Reaction score
There are two lights at the entrance to the kitchen. I rarely use them. Recently, I found that one light was off. After two weeks, I have finally decided to fix it. I removed the old bulb, which was labeled 220 V, 50 W. I checked the resistance and found it infinite. Burnt out, I thought. I took out a new bulb and checked it. The resistance was 0. OK. I installed the bulb and turned on the switch. No luck. The light was still off. I checked the voltage at the bulb socket and found it only 50 V. I removed the lamp from the wall and checked the voltage of the two incoming wires again. Still, 50 V. Since the light was working before, it's only reasonable to assume that the voltage was 220 V.

So, the question is why the voltage is 50 V now? What could cause it to be 50 V? There is a hole, chewed by a mouse, near the other light. I don't think that would matter, would it? This house has 3-phrase, 220 V power supply.

There are two lights at the entrance to the kitchen. I rarely use them. Recently, I found that one light was off. After two weeks, I have finally decided to fix it. I removed the old bulb, which was labeled 220 V, 50 W. I checked the resistance and found it infinite. Burnt out, I thought. I took out a new bulb and checked it. The resistance was 0. OK. I installed the bulb and turned on the switch. No luck. The light was still off. I checked the voltage at the bulb socket and found it only 50 V. I removed the lamp from the wall and checked the voltage of the two incoming wires again. Still, 50 V. Since the light was working before, it's only reasonable to assume that the voltage was 220 V.

So, the question is why the voltage is 50 V now? What could cause it to be 50 V? There is a hole, chewed by a mouse, near the other light. I don't think that would matter, would it? This house has 3-phrase, 220 V power supply.
Sounds like either rodent damage or a lose connection somewhere. I'd advise getting an electrician in as they will have tools above the average homeowners arsenal to locate and rectify the issue.

Most likely there is chew damage to a cable, on one side of the damage you have 230v, the copper cable has been damaged and blown open circuit, your 50v is probably what is being passed through the high resistance gap made up of carbon and the remains of a mouse! Use caution poking around up there, it is likely that there are exposed live parts.

Reply to Voltage is 50, instead of 220 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net