Discuss Voltage Operated Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BathSparks

An old fuse board with only 4 fuses 1 5amp, 1 15amp and 2 30amp fuses has a VOEL CB as the ADS for the whole board. I was adding to an outside circuit, one more light, using SWA cable and whisker boxes for a junction.

When I came to testing, I was not sure how to test VOL CB. I have a Metrel multi-function tester and when I measured the loop impedence, the VOL CB tripped immediately. I do have a setting on the Metrel for these occasions that does not trip an RCD.
I did a functional test and all was well.
All other tests were fine.
I can go back and do an RCD test, but is this compatible with the type of CB we have here. :confused5:

If it is voltage operated ELCB, and it is easy to tell, the earthing conductor will go through the unit, the current operated ELCB, which is an old RCD basically will just have a LINE/NEUTRAl going to it.

Voltage operated units, can not be tested by a MFT, as you need to induce a voltage across the coil of about 50volts and you would need an old tester for that. The IET now no longer recognize these units, and recommend change, as they were notorious for either tripping if someone looked at it sideways, or never trip at all

anyway, your outside light circuit needs RCD protection to comply with regs. so you've got no choice.

nope. slipped up. was thinking not attached to main building , but that's notifiable, not necessarily needing RCD. DOH. excuse is that i've not had beer yet.

also main bonding creates parallel paths that can cause the voelcb not to function had the same conundrum recently which went from just adding a spur to replacing voelcb, upgrading earth rod, main bonds, rewiring or making class2 all lights suffice to say the landlord decided the best option was not to fit the spur :(

Reply to Voltage Operated Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock