Discuss Voltage problems in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

top-sparks1

Hi everyone,

I have been having constant issues with lamps blowing all the time within my home and i consulted a local electrician to investigate for any issues, he advised that i have a higher than normal voltage and recomended a voltage optimisation device to lower the voltage which would sort my issues with the lamps and lower my bills as well.

Is this really the way i want to go or is he having me over?

Cheers all

The voltage boards are usually for energy saving purposes but I don't think there is alot to benefit from it, what sort of light fittings are they?

I think they are 12v lights they may have cheap transformers and check they are not covered over the back with insulation causing over heating, I would maybe change to led lamps depending on how many u have in the house could save you alot in new lamps and energy consumption

Wow those vphase things look a bunch of crap.

So dropping the voltage by 10% magically reduces the whole house usage by 10%.

Bit of a simplistic way of looking at it?

Sure, pure resistive loads will reduce their usage, but they will also drop their efficiency and efficacy.
Devices with SMP will probably not change much at all. If you have a large SMP device, additional current will have to flow to keep the power the same leading to more wire losses through heating.
Heaters will just heat slower, but the thermostat will keep them on longer.

Is there something hugely obvious that I am overlooking?

The device will doubtfully be 100% efficient either.

So in my eyes a device that will most likely do nothing apart from cost you £250 + install costs....

Actually thinking about it, install costs.... tell everybody about them, your friends, the world!

Wow those vphase things look a bunch of crap.

So dropping the voltage by 10% magically reduces the whole house usage by 10%.

Bit of a simplistic way of looking at it?

Sure, pure resistive loads will reduce their usage, but they will also drop their efficiency and efficacy.
Devices with SMP will probably not change much at all. If you have a large SMP device, additional current will have to flow to keep the power the same leading to more wire losses through heating.
Heaters will just heat slower, but the thermostat will keep them on longer.

Is there something hugely obvious that I am overlooking?

The device will doubtfully be 100% efficient either.

So in my eyes a device that will most likely do nothing apart from cost you £250 + install costs....

Actually thinking about it, install costs.... tell everybody about them, your friends, the world!

Couldn't agree more!

Hi everyone,

I have been having constant issues with lamps blowing all the time within my home and i consulted a local electrician to investigate for any issues, he advised that i have a higher than normal voltage and recomended a voltage optimisation device to lower the voltage which would sort my issues with the lamps and lower my bills as well.

Cheers all

If the website says they work then work they must.....the internet never lies.

Install one and the sooner the better. Your lamps will thank you for it right up until the first time it goes into bypass mode. Be sure to post again in 6 months time and let us know how much you're saving :)

Last edited:
fitting a v-phase still isnt a cure to your problem, you would save more money if you fitted low energy lamp fittings,
recent experiences of lamps blowing has been a number of reasons 1)cheap lamps purchased, 2)loose fittings, 3)water leak rusted choc block screws connected to light, 4)es lamps, 5)GU10's

number 3 my favourite!, went to investigate why lamps of a domestic home would explode from fitting in room within a few days i narrowed it down to a choc block in a light fitting, the screws were totally rusted due to a recent water leak directly above lamp fitting from bathroom, changed choc block and trimmed cable back reconnected, problem solved and cured!,

also number 4 mysteriously whenever there is this type of problem majority of times always involves an es fitting!,

number 5 totally ignore what they theoretically claim 2,000-10,000 hours average life expectancy load of bull! probably in laboratory controlled conditions, i am still waiting for one to last longer than a week!

Hi everyone,

Cheers all

Ahh voltage optimisation rears it's head again

Think I would change my electrician if he believes one of these units will fix the problem

I would suggest that a voltage logger is installed for a few days to monitor the voltage and see if it peaks any higher than you have spot measured had a problem like this a few years ago and the local transformer was not tapping the voltage down and I found peaks at 265 - 270v

v phase units are only good on certain things imagine for example a kettle, if you lower its supply voltage then it takes longer to boil,therefore it uses as much power ie running cost as it would without a v phase fitted,only difference is it takes longer to boil.ever seen a 240 kettle connected to 110 it does boil but eventually,I rest my case.

Dear God!

I thought we’d buried this bottle of Snake Oil once and for all months ago.

Please, please do not waste you’re money. 1KW of electricity is 1KW, you will pay for 1KW. Be it at 220V or 250V.

Reply to Voltage problems in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net