Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Voltage question. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MEGGER?

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Installing an integrated washing machine today,electrician had removed existing socket from wall and left cable and socket lying to one side to be refitted at a later date.Checked to see if it was live and safe to move as it is near water supply for appliance and reading on fluke voltage indicator was displaying 247 volts,the same on the megger 1502. Is this voltage right? (Still and always learning):confused:

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
S

Spudnik

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The national standard is 230V + or - a bit but i cant remember what.

But basically, yes, its fine.

Not sure about leaving live cables sticking out of the wall tho.:eek:

W

WarrenG

Installing an integrated washing machine today,electrician had removed existing socket from wall and left cable and socket lying to one side to be refitted at a later date.Checked to see if it was live and safe to move as it is near water supply for appliance and reading on fluke voltage indicator was displaying 247 volts,the same on the megger 1502. Is this voltage right? (Still and always learning):confused:
If the circuit is live, then 247V isn't unusual reading if that is what you mean?

If you mean that the circuit is supposed to have been isolated and reading
247V then you need to investigate further.

M

MEGGER?

Customer told us his sparky had left everything "safe",just never come across 247 volts before.

W

WarrenG

Customer told us his sparky had left everything "safe",just never come across 247 volts before.
Well if you were reading live 247V with the cable and socket away from the wall, the customers sparky hadn't left it safe. :mad:

M

MEGGER?

Will kick his a**e when he returns!:mad:

M

m4tty

i got 247 volts in my house which i thought was high but had no probs apart from lightbulbs blowing a bit more than normal

D

DanBrown

The supply voltage can vary a lot from location to location. The voltage varies from 230v +/- 10%.
The supply voltage can be as little as 207v or a maximum of 253v
Our house runs at roughtly 248v.

G

GT1

likewise at mine: 247v at socket outlets on downstairs ring (TN-C-S)

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to Voltage question. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom