Discuss Voltage readings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Came across a weird one today…

Four single black stranded 12gaTHHN running through 1/2” conduit about 40’ to first outlet box and 70’ to the last, on a branch from main panel. One 20A breaker and one 30A breaker. The homeowner asked to eliminate existing locations and reroute, no problem. I insert outlet tester before shutting off breaker, indicator lights remain off. All breakers still in on position at main panel. I opened up each box to expose back side of existing outlets. Voltage reading of 32v at the first two outlet boxes but 120v at the third. Strange so I figure something must be miswired in the line, no biggie since wiring was going to be rerouted. I switched off the two breakers and headed to eliminate the second and third locations, pulled wires, cut conduit below grade, left conduit in ground, changed location for first outlet box. At this point, I go to the main panel and switch on the 30A breaker to test with my voltage meter, so I know which line is hot for the 30A. Well the voltage meter was picking up 80v on what I presume to be the 30A wire and 32v on the other ‘hot’ wire. Then when I switched on both breakers, I was getting a 240v reading on the 30A wire with the common. The crazy thing is I was also getting a 120v reading on what was supposed to be the ground. I went as far as disconnecting the wire from the 20A breaker and the ground at the main panel but was still picking up voltage readings on all four wires at the box. I’m a little baffled…

I’m thinking of pulling the wires, replacing them with 12/3THWN to the first box and replacing the 30A breaker with a 20A. This should resolve my voltage issue, should it not? Anyone ever run into such an issue? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

How are you testing the voltage?

If it is a multimeter then you have all sorts of issues with capacitive coupling of AC in nearby circuits leading to strange readings.

If "proving dead" you really should be using something like this, nothing to set incorreectly, no batteris, and takes a couple of mA so no issues of capacitive coupling giving false readings:

How are you testing the voltage?

If it is a multimeter then you have all sorts of issues with capacitive coupling of AC in nearby circuits leading to strange readings.

If "proving dead" you really should be using something like this, nothing to set incorreectly, no batteris, and takes a couple of mA so no issues of capacitive coupling giving false readings:
I have a Klein MM400 to test voltage…

I have a Klein MM400 to test voltage…
That is a good multimeter, but with 10M input impedance it only needs 3uA of AC current to read 30V.

You would get that with 30M capacitive reactance to 120V, and at 60Hz that is equivalent to 88pF.

Typical flex style cables would show that for just 1m or less!

Reply to Voltage readings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net