Discuss Voltage Stabiliser in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Used to fit them on most of the installs I did, you are only conditioning the installation after the stabiliser so it shouldn't be a problem providing it is sized correctly, what sort are you using?

Looking to condition 2 D.B's which supply some box manufacturing machines (designed for european voltage).
There are 2 large P.V. arrays further down stream which make the voltage fluctuate. Voltage at the origin is typically at +240V.

If you're looking at voltage optimisation bear in mind that most units just reduce the voltage by a percentage. Therefore if the incoming voltage is fluctuating, so will the outgoing voltage.

They are basically step down transformers. Some can supposedly maintain a steady output voltage.

Static induction regulators will maintain a steady output but they’re not cheap. Have a look for PowerPerfector.

A word of warning, there was a lad on here had trouble with one as the tapping of the secondary winding had been set too low. Not a big problem if you know how to solve it.

They market it as “cutting edge technology”, I found the same thing in a 1938 copy of Stubbs electrical encyclopaedia.

What is the specific problem you want to address by installing these units? What is the voltage at the machine input under normal operating conditions, and what do the makers specify?

Also, you say the PV arrays are downstream, which I take to mean on the load side of the proposed voltage stabilisers. That might not be permissible - needs clarification.

You could just use a transformer

I mentioned that in an earlier post:

If you're looking at voltage optimisation bear in mind that most units just reduce the voltage by a percentage. Therefore if the incoming voltage is fluctuating, so will the outgoing voltage.

They are basically step down transformers. Some can supposedly maintain a steady output voltage.

I mentioned that in an earlier post:
the problem with most transformers is the output would vary depending on the imput.

an upfront continuous ups would work if you could find one that takes 200-415 volts in and outputs 240/415 out.

basically the fluctuating voltage would just affect the primary side of the ups (there are different types of ups and not all do this)

A static induction regulator is a transformer but the output doesn’t vary with the input.

I could post a drawing and explanation but what’s the point, the OP’s vanished.

Don't know enough on this subject but be careful with the PV, think most voltage stabilisers can't handle pv, check in solar forum for more clarification.

Just using a transformer will be fine.
the voltage will fluctuate +10% -6% here as it does abroad so no problem..
legally through harmonisation rules you shouldn't need to do anything

Last edited:
A transformer will not provide voltage stability. The O/P will vary with the I/P which isn’t what this question is about.

Reply to Voltage Stabiliser in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock