Discuss Voltage Stick Advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nobody can recommend a volt stick in the proper sense, rather we would recommend no volt stick. But anyway that aside Kewtech Kewstickduo. It has an attenuation button on it which helps at a switch say to identify a single wire as being live.

DISCLAIMER: Volt sticks are not an approved method of testing for live or dead. Use of such apparatus is taken entirely at the risk of the operator we do not accept any liability. AND don't do this at home.

Nobody can recommend a volt stick in the proper sense, rather we would recommend no volt stick. But anyway that aside Kewtech Kewstickduo. It has an attenuation button on it which helps at a switch say to identify a single wire as being live.

DISCLAIMER: Volt sticks are not an approved method of testing for live or dead. Use of such apparatus is taken entirely at the risk of the operator we do not accept any liability. AND don't do this at home.
Of course, thanks for the reply. Only require for basic tracing of cables etc

I have a UNI-T UT13A, which has a wheel to adjust the sensitivity, and will detect down to 24v supposedly. I can't say if it's any better or worse than others on the market, as it's the only one I have ever owned (5 years).

I wouldn't be without it though, one of the most useful tools I own. Great for identifying cables.

I have a UNI-T UT13A, which has a wheel to adjust the sensitivity, and will detect down to 24v supposedly. I can't say if it's any better or worse than others on the market, as it's the only one I have ever owned (5 years).

I wouldn't be without it though, one of the most useful tools I own. Great for identifying cables.
Thanks mate

I have always used the Fluke 1AC II. I've had a few and the only problem I found with them is they stop working when dropped from heights 🤣
The Fluke picks up 90v-1000v. Some other makes start at 200v so wouldn't pick up a live 110v flex so you might want to check the specs for whatever one you decide on

As others have said, they are not to be relied on to test for live or dead but handy for a quick check for live on a flex on a faulty light for example or for tracing cables. Mine is always in my pocket

Could you try when you get a chance? I'd be intrigued, given they're some what dependent on current too and can be flakey at 230v! BT wiring?

Useful for diagnostic work but there's good reason they're looked down on, doesn't stop you seeing Bob the builder diligently checking all his wires after you've told him it's all dead and the tails are hanging loose 😆

Hi Guys Im looking to purchase a new voltage stick…would appreciate any input/recommendations on the best one to buy? What do you guys use?

Thanks

I’ve used one of these and found it to be very good.

I’ve used one of these and found it to be very good.

Looking at the address and the feedback of that seller, I would definitely not be buying from them!

A non contact voltage detector can only ever be as good as your experience. You can't just put a new one in your pocket and expect it to work the way you want it to. As with any gadget you really need to play with it a while, like a new toy, and learn how it can work for you.
Certainly not a replacement for a 2 pole tester but can be quite handy once you have the experience and know what to expect.
I use the Martindale NC2. It's not as sensitive as others so it won't react to adjacent phases when doing a quick trace on mcbs or contactors. That's important to me, and that's what I'm used to.

Me either, but i was just pointing out the tool.

Unbranded product.
"Safety level: CE CAT.II 1000V"
"Security level: CE CAT.II 1000V"
"Height <2000m"

Not sure I'd even point it out to anyone on a public forum. Who knows what standard it is manufactured to as there's no indication from the description or images. Perhaps they're great or perhaps quality varies wildly from one to the next.

Unbranded product.
"Safety level: CE CAT.II 1000V"
"Security level: CE CAT.II 1000V"
"Height <2000m"

Not sure I'd even point it out to anyone on a public forum. Who knows what standard it is manufactured to as there's no indication from the description or images. Perhaps they're great or perhaps quality varies wildly from one to the next

Pretty Mouth said:

Obviously, you ensured the one you have promoted complies.

Obviously, you ensured the one you have promoted complies.

Is there a reason why you've edited another member's post to make it appear as though it was mine?

Reply to Voltage Stick Advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock