• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Voltage test on 110 transformer in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabbajaws

Electrician's Arms
Hi All,

I did a voltage test on the output side of a 110 transformer, the other day, due to a 110 SDS drill that kept cutting out. It turned out to be a loose connection in the drill, but l was somewhat confused by the voltage readings l was getting from the transformer itself.

L - N = 110V
L - E = 110V
N - E = 90V

During training l was taught that there should be no voltage between Neutral + Earth when taking a voltage reading.

Is this normal for 110 transformers or is there a problem?
Not very experienced with transformers, so any input much appreciated. Thanks.

i=p/u

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
i thought you should be getting 55v to earth, showws how much i know

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
you should get 55V L/E and N/E. ( the N is not actually N ) it's really L1 and L2. the centre of the secondary TX winding is connected to the supply earth, so you should have 55-0-55.

Archy Styrigg

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Your typical Yellow tranny has a 110V 2ndary winding centre tapped to earth.
So, as our i=p/u says, +/-55v to earth. They don't have neutral as such.
I'm confused by your readings. Sould be getting 110 across Line pins and 55 bot lives to earth.

Either the trannies knackered or you're measuring incorrectly.

Jabbajaws

Electrician's Arms
Your typical Yellow tranny has a 110V 2ndary winding centre tapped to earth.
So, as our i=p/u says, +/-55v to earth. They don't have neutral as such.
I'm confused by your readings. Sould be getting 110 across Line pins and 55 bot lives to earth.

Either the trannies knackered or you're measuring incorrectly.
Thanks Archy. It was only a quick test with my voltage indicator. I havent used my 17th edition meter on it for an accurate reading but l will do as soon as l get chance. Thanks.

E

Engineer54

Thanks Archy. It was only a quick test with my voltage indicator. I havent used my 17th edition meter on it for an accurate reading but l will do as soon as l get chance. Thanks.
You should actually be using a pukka voltage tester, for your ''Accurate'' voltage readings, rather than your 17th MFT... Voltage indicator type testers that show you the voltage within an indicated band range, don't cut it these days... Is this the type of volt meter you was using??

What you should be seeing is ....

L1 - L2 = 110V
L1 - E = 55V
L2 - E = 55V

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.