Discuss Voltage test on 110 transformer in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jabbajaws

Hi All,

I did a voltage test on the output side of a 110 transformer, the other day, due to a 110 SDS drill that kept cutting out. It turned out to be a loose connection in the drill, but l was somewhat confused by the voltage readings l was getting from the transformer itself.

L - N = 110V
L - E = 110V
N - E = 90V

During training l was taught that there should be no voltage between Neutral + Earth when taking a voltage reading.

Is this normal for 110 transformers or is there a problem?
Not very experienced with transformers, so any input much appreciated. Thanks.

you should get 55V L/E and N/E. ( the N is not actually N ) it's really L1 and L2. the centre of the secondary TX winding is connected to the supply earth, so you should have 55-0-55.

Your typical Yellow tranny has a 110V 2ndary winding centre tapped to earth.
So, as our i=p/u says, +/-55v to earth. They don't have neutral as such.
I'm confused by your readings. Sould be getting 110 across Line pins and 55 bot lives to earth.

Either the trannies knackered or you're measuring incorrectly.

Your typical Yellow tranny has a 110V 2ndary winding centre tapped to earth.
So, as our i=p/u says, +/-55v to earth. They don't have neutral as such.
I'm confused by your readings. Sould be getting 110 across Line pins and 55 bot lives to earth.

Either the trannies knackered or you're measuring incorrectly.

Thanks Archy. It was only a quick test with my voltage indicator. I havent used my 17th edition meter on it for an accurate reading but l will do as soon as l get chance. Thanks.

Thanks Archy. It was only a quick test with my voltage indicator. I havent used my 17th edition meter on it for an accurate reading but l will do as soon as l get chance. Thanks.

You should actually be using a pukka voltage tester, for your ''Accurate'' voltage readings, rather than your 17th MFT... Voltage indicator type testers that show you the voltage within an indicated band range, don't cut it these days... Is this the type of volt meter you was using??

What you should be seeing is ....

L1 - L2 = 110V
L1 - E = 55V
L2 - E = 55V

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Voltage test on 110 transformer in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock