Discuss Voltage tester, am i thinking about this too much? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stranded

Hi all, possibly a stupid question, but input from professionals would be appreciated.

Im looking to buy my first voltage tester, (probably fluke) and have been looking at a few.

I understand there are ones with a self test function, or without then you buy a proving unit with it.

My thought is, can you rely on the self test function itself inside the unit, or are you better to go with a proving unit then you know for sure that you are testing it properly?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mike.

i wouldn't bother with a proving unit. test on the incomer which is still live after isolating.

True on domestic may be. But on industrial switch gear this may not be the case also accessing a live terminal just to prove your device would be frowned upon under a permit . We have a proving unit for such times but in the real world it hardly used by any of us. Mostly for witness testing and the nic man

how can you REally trust a proving unit...

possibly another MFT to test on the basis that 2 can't be duff!

2 units can be duff, unlikely but possible, proving unit might be incorrect aswell, but where do you stop. I trust proving my tester off the live side.

I see what you mean. I personally would have a proving unit too..couldn't you test a proving unit with a multimeter? or do they not work like that?

but then, is the multimeter OK?. how far do you go.

Using a proving unit is fail safe if done correctly. ie voltage tester should prove voltage everytime it is connected to proving unit. If it does not then either the proving unit or the voltage tester is at fault but regardless of which you would not continue.

Using a proving unit is fail safe if done correctly. ie voltage tester should prove voltage everytime it is connected to proving unit. If it does not then either the proving unit or the voltage tester is at fault but regardless of which you would not continue.

unless, of course, the neon screwdriver says it's OK. :joker:

Thanks, thats true i suppose. Its either one of the other. Going to get a proving unit in that case. Thanks!

fluke T3. i've had mine for 10 years. no problems.

I use a combivolt 2, it has both lcd display and led display. Ive had it for around 3 years. Getting a bit tired now like...Ive never had a proven unit and the last time I used one was at college. I prove my VI's on a known supply and this has satisfied the Elecsa assessor in the past.

I use a T5-1000 at work, handy having voltage/current in one package. As for proving units, if you fail to get a reading/indication stop and investigate before carrying out any work.

Reply to Voltage tester, am i thinking about this too much? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock