Discuss vphase unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

better spending the cost of one of these units in the pub. hardly any leccy being used at home while you are enjoying a pint or 3.

The lecturer I had on a recent C&G2399 course said he swore by them. Reading various threads on forums about them I've come to the conclusion that they're a waste of money!

The lecturer I had on a recent C&G2399 course said he swore by them. Reading various threads on forums about them I've come to the conclusion that they're a waste of money!

Hmmm, ....just goes to show the standard of lecturers you have out there these days!!! ...lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, point well made!

I had fun with a lecturer who took me for the C&G2382, corrected him numerous times. He looked really disappointed when I scored 100%. Idiot!

if you could get them in 3phase commercial version, well maybe the 10% would be alot, but dont know if you can and im sure if they were that good, they would be written in the wind , everywhere you goo

Every time a thread comes on here extolling the virtues of that gimmick.it seems like the scenario of the potential suicide who needs to be persuaded of their folly

"Don't do it,its not worth it"

Maybe these contraptions would have been more effective when the nominal voltage in the UK was 240v.

I've come across the African version several times where you just install a 1mm² for a 20amp load. You drop 30volts across the cable which means the energy consumption of the actual load is vastly reduced. :)

Ive googled this a couple of times, and come to the conclusion that it was not worth the cost or effort to install for the savings. Better off spending the same money on led lighting, which would give you bigger savings.

Voltage Power Optimisation can produce significant savings when implemented on a commercial or industrial scale, as systems from the likes of Llyons regularly demonstrate. However, 100kVA automatically regulated VPO systems, are currently seen as the minimum requirement for significant savings. The Vphase domestic system is like a poor Christmas cracker novelty by comparison, it's power saving claims are optimistic to say the least and IMO unjustified due to the miniature size of the system and some of the vaguely psuedo-science used to entice the impressionable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will only save you the 10% or so on equipment which uses a negligible amount of power anyway. Most of your bill will come from heating in one way or another kettle, toaster etc and a Vphase unit will not save you any money on such types of equipment, not to mention the cost of your time wasted waiting 10% longer for the kettle to boil.

Before I started, our place wasted many tens of thousands upgrading our process heating control gear to faster switching, lower hysterysis controllers. This saved just under 3% power. I spent less money and time insulating all the tanks and reduced the power consumption by 30-40%. The simplist solutions are often the best.

Reply to vphase unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net