VSD

Discuss VSD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
When programming a VSD of a motor say 3 phase 50/60Hz and setting it for 60Hz when the inputs 415V do we set the voltage to 440V thanks guys for your help in advance.
97C229F7-C0EC-4AC4-BDC2-BA8AC2D9A4D3.png

What are the supply characteristics, this is a global forum so it changes with location.

As the motor is 50/60hz where are you?

415v is you supply are you sure your not on 50hz as that is the left hand side of the plate readings.

Edited - reread the plate.

Last edited:
What are the supply characteristics, this is a global forum so it changes with location.

As the motor is 50/60hz where are you?

415v is you supply are you sure your not on 50hz as that is the left hand side of the plate readings.

Edited - reread the plate.
Yeah so 415v 50hz but wondering if it can be run at 60Hz and if so does the voltage settings have to be changed on the VSD?

You set your input values as your supply is, you can increase the output frequency however this will speed the motor up but reduce torque as you are not increasing voltage in proportion to frequency, the drive will only give out the max input voltage thus you get a increase in speed while the field strength is capped at supply voltage, putting in incorrect values like an inflated voltage can cause issues down the line as you are giving the drive false information.

Increasing the output frequency should be done only of you understand the duty, load etc characteristics of the motor and the limitations of the actual job it is doing, with the minimal info you have supplied it is not possible to give this info.

Note that increasing the frequency while the voltage remains limited is not as the motor was designed to do so unless you know what you are doing I would stick to the motor and supply parameters.

Last edited:
You set your input values as your supply is, you can increase the output frequency however this will speed the motor up but reduce torque as you are not increasing voltage in proportion to frequency, the drive will only give out the max input voltage thus you get a increase in speed while the field strength is capped at supply voltage, putting in incorrect values like an inflated voltage can cause issues down the line as you are giving the drive false information.

Increasing the output frequency should be done only of you understand the duty, load etc characteristics of the motor and the limitations of the actual job it is doing, with the minimal info you have supplied it is not possible to give this info.

Note that increasing the frequency while the voltage remains limited is not as the motor was designed to do so unless you know what you are doing I would stick to the motor and supply parameters.
Thank you darkwood! So as I’ve got a 415v 50 Hz supply I would then set it up for that (NP volts and Hz) but can adjust the maximum vsd Hz to 60 if needed (I’m thinking maintenance and having a worn pump just to get us out the trouble until spares have been ordered).

Thank you darkwood! So as I’ve got a 415v 50 Hz supply I would then set it up for that but can adjust the maximum Hz to 60 if needed (I’m thinking maintenance and having a worn pump just to get us out the trouble until spares have been ordered).
This is a very complex subject and no i have not implied in your situation that is ok, in asking it becomes clear you are not experienced to understand the complexity of this matter, thus the only advice is to program the drive relative to the motor plate, we have zero info' here to even suggest overspeeding the motor would be ok, below is a list of a few of many things that are needed to be considered when ever you overspeed a motor.

-Torque characteristics and its ability to do the job intended if you lose torque at optimal speed
-Constant or variable torque system
-Control system design, IE is the motor set up to give variable speeds depending on feedback loops, entering the wrong values could stop the whole system working as designed.

There are many more variables subject to installation and motor requirements to go into here, you haven't really explained what you are actually attempting to do, your explanation about worn pump is open to interpretation IE ambiguous.

Am I to assume you have some kind of water pump that isn't achieving full flow and you are going to try achieve it by increasing speed.. if this is the case it may not work, if the pump blades are worn then it is likely increasing the speed will not increase the pressure, it will just cavitate more, when it comes to fans and pumps it can be very complex to understand the theory of how it works and actually reducing or increasing the speed can overload the motor itself.

I recommend you set the values within the motor plated characteristics, if the pump is that important then I assume you now understand the need to have a back up pump or system to swap to when needed.

-

Reply to VSD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net