Discuss vw transporter or vivaro??? time to decide... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you're asking me, I've heard that the service costs are higher and that the VW's aren't as good on fuel (the latter may be subjective though).

You could probably confirm that by looking at the service interval for each and ringing your local dealers and seeing what they charge for the different levels of service.

ive got an ex aa van and wouldnt swap it for any other van.
get 45 to gallon on long runs 2.5 tdi and 114bhp,
given the choice between the ywo would go for vw. tend to keep their value better too,

Mate of mine is a mechanic in the local VW van centre in brum, he says the newer vw's are less reliable than older ones, but overall not too bad, however be aware of big running costs and poor fuel economy.

The vivaro suffers with gearbox issues and iffy interior build quality.

If it was my money it would be a transit, not as refined but way cheaper to run and at least you know where you stand with a ford.

Mind you I have a Scudo, not a bad engine & box, cheap and cheerful but awful build quality.

One word, Vivaro.
102,000 miles on my 56 plate, only had a lower front ball joint in all that time, around 32 MPG with a reasonable amount of gear in it.
Keep thinking about getting it changed for a new one but really cant see the point

I have a 53 plate Vivaro, SWB 1.9 TDi, 107,000 miles. Just had an MOT which it breezed through, it is brilliant on fuel (easily 550 miles from a tank) and nice to drive etc.

In my last job I was using a T5, quite a high spec one and when full of gear / or towing, you could watch the fuel gauge drop! The service costs were pretty high on it but otherwise a very good van.

If its a second hand van, the IMO service costs don't really come into it, as if use main dealers you want your head seeing to.

You hear good and bad about every van and regarding flywheels and clutches, it sound like most vans made in the last 5 years have issues.

If its a second hand van, the IMO service costs don't really come into it, as if use main dealers you want your head seeing to.

You hear good and bad about every van and regarding flywheels and clutches, it sound like most vans made in the last 5 years have issues.
True, main dealers are not the cheapest. If you have finance for a new van (like me), the finance company insists on main dealer for the warranty period. Even though the manuf say that you can have it serviced elsewhere (to manuf specification) :mad:

for fuel economy it's the viv every time. vw are supposed to be built well, but have heard a lot of reliability probs with them. personally, i'd buy ANYTHING MADE IN JAPAN. toymotors are best all rounders

True, main dealers are not the cheapest. If you have finance for a new van (like me), the finance company insists on main dealer for the warranty period. Even though the manuf say that you can have it serviced elsewhere (to manuf specification) :mad:

Agree regarding if its financed or new. Its not worth the risk of avoided the main stealers, just incase something does go wrong and they decide not to cover it under warranty

i'll stick with old bangers. fix it only if it's broke, down the local back street garage, throw it away if it needs a fortune spending.

Transit all day long for me. Indestructable!
Must be a old 1 the new 1s are a pile of ****
I got a brand new 1 every 2 years off the company. In fairness tho i did it like id stole it.
Always in the garage EGR valve, Injectors, Ate front tyres didnt matter how many times the tracking was done, The remote key always packed up this made it a mare to get into the back, 18 mpg
and guttless. VW all teh way, You could blow 1 of those things up and you d still get good money for it on the bay. The 2.5 1s do suffer from feul pump problems.
Get the 1.9 not as fast but parts are very cheap, Its the same engine they put in golfs A4's etc etc :)

Reply to vw transporter or vivaro??? time to decide... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net