Discuss Wagossssssssssssssss in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd say 90% of traditional JBs I have ever come across have not been fitted correctly, not fixed and with no strain relief for terminations. Found heaps of faults within JBs due to poor installation and/or the nature of the terminals.
I don't think standards have always been as impeccable as some like to think.

This is a nice box for the older Wagos

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wagob...VmKztCh0VZgmtEAAYASAAEgIRSvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cheap, really.

Also, just ordered one of these with the newer Wagos pre-installed

Wago L32 Wiring Centre - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WAL32.html

Seems good value...not a Wago product, I think...just an aftermarket product with Wagos fitted...but I can see a few uses for these, not just boiler installations.

I love the quickwire range of JB/connectors. Doing a switch and loop takes literally one minute no earth sleeving and maintenance free as well as small enough to poke up into a 1.5 inch hole in the ceiling to fit those there new fangeld lights where you have to take off the ceiling rose.
I hadn't seen 'Quickwire' before ....great concept but very expensive.

By 'strip connector' do you mean 'choc-block'? If so, in order, for me:

1. Less risk of loose connections developing over time, particularly where vibration is involved. It doesn't matter how much vibration a Wago suffers, it maintains a constant pressure at the termination.
2. Ease of installation - No messing about with a screwdriver, at an awkward angle.
3. Speed.
4. Much, much easier to reconfigure if changes are needed.
5. Neatness.

I'll never again use a choc-block. I hate them. And I always have, since the first time I used them, decades ago.

I needed to extend a cable yesterday, that had been cut too short, and was up between roof joists. I could see it, and reach it, but doing the job with any screw based solution would have been beyond challenging - I could get one hand up there, but not two. With three 2 port Wagos, and one of their lighting boxes, it was a piece of cake.

I'm genuinely curious - Why do you prefer choc-block?

Cheers.

...snip...

Also, just ordered one of these with the newer Wagos pre-installed

Wago L32 Wiring Centre - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WAL32.html

Seems good value...not a Wago product, I think...just an aftermarket product with Wagos fitted...but I can see a few uses for these, not just boiler installations.

The L32 is absolutely superb - I use them lots. Makes wiring a heating system literally a 5 minute job once the cables are in. Only niggle is that there aren't enough earth points. Can be sorted with one more Wago in there, but it is irritating.

1. Less risk of loose connections developing over time, particularly where vibration is involved. It doesn't matter how much vibration a Wago suffers, it maintains a constant pressure at the termination.
2. Ease of installation - No messing about with a screwdriver, at an awkward angle.
3. Speed.
5. Neatness.

I'll never again use a choc-block. I hate them. And I always have, since the first time I used them, decades ago.

I needed to extend a cable yesterday, that had been cut too short, and was up between roof joists. I could see it, and reach it, but doing the job with any screw based solution would have been beyond challenging - I could get one hand up there, but not two. With three 2 port Wagos, and one of their lighting boxes, it was a piece of cake.

Cheers.

Who'd a thunk it, a rational viewpoint. I think most of those that decry Wagos in favour of screw terminal connector strip just do it because that's what they were brought up with and anything else is witchcraft.
I remember showing my dad Wagos when I first started using them. He asked a lot of questions about application, voltage and current ratings, availability etc and had a few goes with various types of scrap bits of cable from his garage. His verdict as a retired Jurassic sparks ? "Well where were these all my working life ?"

Thank you for your thoughts, i tried wagos just few times.I liked the feel of them but wasn't practical for me.Maybe i will give them another go, for so many ppl to insist must be something there.

Some thoughts i had about wagos since last time i used them:

1.I found them cumbersome to fit them in 35mm boxes or tight places especially if there more than 2-3 cables to connect.
2.About the speed i didnt see any noticeable difference.
3.Also one more advantage is the cost which i dont mind to pay few cents more if it gives me a reasonable advantage.
4.One more disadvantage is that you have to always keep an eye to have the whole series of 2,3,4,5 etc ports and the same amperage wise.

3. Speed.
5. Neatness.

Cheers.

Some thoughts i had about wagos since last time i used them:

1.I found them cumbersome to fit them in 35mm boxes or tight places especially if there more than 2-3 cables to connect.
2.About the speed i didnt see any noticeable difference.
3.Also one more advantage is the cost which i dont mind to pay few cents more if it gives me a reasonable advantage.
4.One more disadvantage is that you have to always keep an eye to have the whole series of 2,3,4,5 etc ports and the same amperage wise.
I can't understand your argument.
Installed Friday, for a friend. In an awkward position...replacing rose with light fitting. Box above with 5 cables. An absolute doddle compared to screw connectors, with plenty box space.
Plus the fact it would have meant 4 neutrals and 5 earths in the connectors.

IMG_1832.JPG

Last edited:
Yep - Chocblocks connect, at best, two wires. I know you can bodge, er, I mean 'carefully terminate', more than one wire into each hole, but, that's not my style. In a CH wiring centre, it needs loads of little neutral, and earth, links, which make things really horrible, practically, and visually. Wagos do up to 8 way in the push fit range. Hugely helpful.

I have a small personal project coming up soon, and I really want to use these, but I can't find a supplier of a small quantity here in the UK. Any suggestions?..

WAGO | Busbar terminal block (812-104) - https://www.wago.com/us/rail-chassis-terminal-blocks/busbar-terminal-block/p/812-104

9514631069726.jpg

I can't understand your argument.
Installed Friday, for a friend. In an awkward position...replacing rose with light fitting. Box above with 5 cables. An absolute doddle compared to screw connectors, with plenty box space.
Plus the fact it would have meant 4 neutrals and 5 earths in the connectors.

View attachment 48838

Will give them another try.Maybe i was too fast for conclusions so this time i will use them for a longer time on different situations.

wagos? chocblocks? JBs? what's wrong with twist and tape?

Talking of twisting,does anyone ever use those Ideal 'twister' things, like a modern version of the old porcelain 'scruits' often found in old square lighting JBs. I have some which came free with a multibox of various Ideal push fits but have never used them, not confident in them really.

Reply to Wagossssssssssssssss in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net