Discuss wall fan in zone 1 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi to all

could someone please recommend a wall fan for zone 1 of a bathroom to replace the existing 230v one

I have been looking at some with selv transformer 12v and are over £100 anyone know cheaper but still ok quality and some 230v ones that say they are ok in zone 1 but IP44 or Ipx4
does it also have to be selv or if protected by a30mA RCD is it ok to use 230v fan

also there is a shower at opposite end so instead of the IPx4 min requirement would this make it Ipx5

any help appreciated

I'v always been under the impression that if maunfacturers state that it can be installed in zone 1, then it can be. I could be wrong on that however. As it's in a bathroom then I would say that it should be protected by a 30ma Rcd.

Rich

Cheers for replies

zone 1 is Ipx4 min but if water jets present then IPx5 as there is a shower at opposite end then this i believe makes it IPx5 min

some of the manufacurer info does say 230v as long as RCD
the old one wasnt protected by RCD
It was fed fromt he 45A DP pull switch off shower and protected by 30A type 2 Bs 3871 in a old wylex fuseboard and the 6mm earthing had major heat damge so did the bonding
there was alos the old central heating fed from a jb of the shower circuit
I have fitted a new 13 way dual RCD split load High integrity board
I had disconnected the old shower , fan and central heating previously
now i am carrying out remedial work and need to replace the fan as it doesnt work which isnt surprising and i already knew before disconnecting

I was loking a t 12v selv but prices are shocking anyone know of one that doesnt cost the earth weith a transformer

thanks

Cheers Topquark

was loking at similar on the S?????x site and there over £100 mate it would ahve to be gold for that

so Is it acceptable for a 230v one to be installed if fed from RCD and does it need to be Ipx5 if a shower present (water jets)
Regs say IPx4 min zone 1 if electrical equipment is exposed to water jets eg for cleaning purposes shall have at least the degree of protection of IPx5
but the shower is thermostatic one with fixed shower head so wont be used for cleaning purposes
701.55 current using equipment
in zone 1 only the folowing fixed and permanantly connected current using equipment shall be installed , provided its suitable for installation in zone 1 according to manufacturer

so get down to the wholesalers/ open a 230v unit and see what the manufacturer recommends. then if it says suitable for zone 1 buy it.

LOL

just looking at some on te TLC website now mate
I was under the impression that it had to be selv
but according to regs if the maunfacturer says its for zone 1 it is lol
will go me wholesalers in more and see if theyre cheaper TLC isnt as bad as S???f??

lol the old electric shower has gone and been replaced with a theromastic fixed one and the outlet is fixed
My wholesalers is a small one isnt the best and hasnt always got waht you need so end up searching on line half the time

Cheers Topquark

was loking at similar on the S?????x site and there over £100 mate it would ahve to be gold for that

so Is it acceptable for a 230v one to be installed if fed from RCD and does it need to be Ipx5 if a shower present (water jets)
Regs say IPx4 min zone 1 if electrical equipment is exposed to water jets eg for cleaning purposes shall have at least the degree of protection of IPx5
but the shower is thermostatic one with fixed shower head so wont be used for cleaning purposes
701.55 current using equipment
in zone 1 only the folowing fixed and permanantly connected current using equipment shall be installed , provided its suitable for installation in zone 1 according to manufacturer
It will have to be RCD protected if it's 230V. If it's 12V then it won't be classed as low voltage and 701.411.3.3 won't apply, unless some part of that supplying circuit is already in the room (s/l feed from bathroom light/switch?).

The description of Jets (AD5, IPX5 required) is for locations where "hose water" is regularly used (yards, car washing bays) so I'd say that's debateable. If the manuf says suitable for use in zone 1 then I'd say it's OK. The ones I posted I believe are OK.

Cheers Torquark

yes the ones on the link are what i was looking for
and as you say the IPX5 is only mentioned for cleaning purposes so Ipx4 will be acceptable
the circuit is already RCD protected well it will be when i take the feed from the lighting so it could be 230v or selv i will give him the option

thanks for your help and everyone elses help appreciated

I always find it strange, that we are allowed 230V equipment in zone 1, but if it's SELV, the transformer has to be outside of the zones.
suppose you could say that the primary side of the transformer needs to be outside zones as it's LV.

Hi cheers for all replies
There is a existing fan so drilling another hole would be out of the question as from the outside the grill isnt accessible as there is a very large conservatory underneath and cant see our kid renting a scaffold for a fan

yes Spin i was wondering why 230v is alowed but selv transformer has to be outside the location
the ones that are surface mounted can they be installed in the loft it would be accessible for maintainance and testing as there is a loft ladder and boarding in the loft

just seems mad to be able to have 230v in zone 1 but i suppose as long as its suitably IP rated and has RCD then complies
and is a lot cheaper than a selv model
I think i will go down the standard 230v route fit a 3A FCU at roof height for maintainance and a pull switch for operation as the bathroom light is switched from the landing
when we used to do them on site yrs ago we jsut installed a 20A dp switch outside the bathroom or en-suite

anyway took the old one out today the duct came with it as it was gunked up with silcone and the fan has never been cleaned since installed so solid with fluff and dirt
cheers again for all replies

Reply to wall fan in zone 1 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock