Discuss Wall insulation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just first fixed a house where I was initially told that the external walls were going to be battened then boarded, I used metal capping over the 2.5mm T&E ring final circuits on the external walls and chased the internal ones into the wall with 20mm oval conduit.

I have now been told that the external walls are going to have 65mm wall insulation dot and dabbed on the inside.

Would you up-rate the cables, de-rate the protective device or just leave it as is? about 1/4 of the sockets are affected.

So if you re-run your calcs, especial attention to Ci what is your result. I think you get for 100mm derate to .89 (.81 for 50mm) which on a ring is acceptable at 32a personally. But that is based on the idea you have two 2.5. If it was a radial at 20a again I think good to go.

Last edited:
Its 0.88 for 50mm and 0.78 for 100mm

523.9 specifies that if the cable totally surrounded by thermally insulating material over a length of 0.5m or more then a rating factor of 0.5 is used.

My problem with this is that the cable is not totally surrounded by thermal insulation so this doesn't apply.

Last edited:
My problem with this is that the cable is not totally surrounded by thermal insulation so this doesn't apply.
I'd say this sort of fits ref method 102 - in a stud wall with thermal insulation with cable touching the inner wall surface. True, the cable is touching the outer wall surface rather than inner, but the outer wall is generally going to be a lot cooler than the inner wall anyway.

I'd say this sort of fits ref method 102 - in a stud wall with thermal insulation with cable touching the inner wall surface. True, the cable is touching the outer wall surface rather than inner, but the outer wall is generally going to be a lot cooler than the inner wall anyway.

Reference method 102 is not a perfect match but the closest to the situation, if this this correct then given that a 32A must have a capacity of at least 20A per leg this would comply as Ref method 102 gives 21A for 2.5mm csa T&E.

Reply to Wall insulation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock