Discuss Wall socket relocation lower than it is in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

virgil399

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to have a feature wall built in my living room. There will be two very large porcelain tile, with TV mounted and hole for cables pass through.
My question is: can I have my wall socket relocated at 300-350mm from floor level in order to have less cuts in my tiles? Are there any regulations that can void my home insurance?
I would like to mention that my house is a new build.
I have attached photo for reference.

Thank you!

Attachments

• image(1).png
    74.5 KB · Views: 11
i'd think that the cables for the existing socket will cvome down from above, so should be no problem to it socket higher by shortening the cables. if there is some slack above the ceiling. may be able to retain existing socket for other use e.g. vacuum cleaners. etc.

It is not clear to me if this room is already built and wired and now needs altering - or if this is all yet to be built - as the answers might differ.

Re miniumum height of sockets, that is normally 450mm or more above FFL for new builds. If yet to be built, if there is a special reason to put lower then maybe it is OK. There are often high level sockets for TVs etc and these are OK. Perhaps check with the building inspector.

If altering an exsting completed home, nobody will care, but existing wiring has to comply with safe zones, and relocating a socket might create a non-compliance.

i'd think that the cables for the existing socket will cvome down from above, so should be no problem to it socket higher by shortening the cables. if there is some slack above the ceiling. may be able to retain existing socket for other use e.g. vacuum cleaners. etc.

I would not want to keep it as it would mean an extra cut on the tile.
If I would not be able to move it, what is the best aproach to bring it forward a couple of inches to be flush with the tile?
Thank you!

It is not clear to me if this room is already built and wired and now needs altering - or if this is all yet to be built - as the answers might differ.

Re miniumum height of sockets, that is normally 450mm or more above FFL for new builds. If yet to be built, if there is a special reason to put lower then maybe it is OK. There are often high level sockets for TVs etc and these are OK. Perhaps check with the building inspector.

If altering an exsting completed home, nobody will care, but existing wiring has to comply with safe zones, and relocating a socket might create a non-compliance.
The room is finished and is an existing completed home. Perhaps my choice of words was poor.

"...existing wiring has to comply with safe zones, and relocating a socket might create a non-compliance."

After searching on google, I have found some value that it cannot be lower than 450mm, but I am not sure if it is mandatory or just recommendation.
Would moving it 300mm lower making the wires non compliant?
What do you mean by safe zones?

the 450mm is a building reg. designed to make life easier for disabled persons. your situation is more specialialised and would not contravene any electrical regs.

safe zones are generally directly vertical or horizontal from/to sockets.switches. corners of wall/ceilings also where cables are within 1646036316360.png6" of corner. bassically, logical routes, no diagonals, see diagram. green areas are the zones.

'Safe zones' won't be a problem since your socket will create a vertical and horizontal zone from its own position.

Pendantic time.

As has been mentioned, in new build the minimum height should be 450mm, if it’s 300-350 it’s already too low.
And, if you’re sticking to the minimum 450, then you should stick to the maximum of 1200… which is too low for a wall mount tv.

I suppose the question is how “new” is your new build?
My own house, although I still say it’s a new build, it’s 15 years old, and predates the 450mm

Are you tiling direct to the wall, or building a wooden frame to give a cable route behind?

Pendantic time.

As has been mentioned, in new build the minimum height should be 450mm, if it’s 300-350 it’s already too low.
And, if you’re sticking to the minimum 450, then you should stick to the maximum of 1200… which is too low for a wall mount tv.

My own house, although I still say it’s a new build, it’s 15 years old, and predates the 450mm

Are you tiling direct to the wall, or building a wooden frame to give a cable route behind?

Agree in principle, but common sense should rule when a socket is needed for a specific appliance such as in this case.

the 450mm rule for sockets is common sense. even able bodied persons if elderly have trouble bending to sockets too low. however, the 1200 rule for light switches is a joke. 3 year old sprogs can reach that high. for anyone disabled enough to not reach a sensible height, smart switches are the answer. he/she the does not even have to get off his/her arse to switch on a light.

the 450mm rule for sockets is common sense. even able bodied persons if elderly have trouble bending to sockets too low. however, the 1200 rule for light switches is a joke. 3 year old sprogs can reach that high. for anyone disabled enough to not reach a sensible height, smart switches are the answer. he/she the does not even have to get off his/her arse to switch on a light.
Because they may not be able to get off his/her arse….

It’s one of those rules, that when first came in, some sparks decided it meant all new sockets. So you find, in the same house, some at 300, some at 450, some inbetween, and the odd really old one fixed upside down on the skirting board.

Because they may not be able to get off his/her arse….
my point exactly. if that's the case what use is a light switch 12 feet away on a wall at 1200mm high.

Pendantic time.

It is a 3 years old new build. Currently, the socket is at 400mm but I would like it moved to the left to accomodate the cable run and have it as low as possible to be hidden out of sight, behind TV unit. It will be a wooden frame and to give a cable route behind and have some LEDs around it, then a 350mm-400mmTV unit in front of it. Bare in mind that the socket has 200mm height already.
Moving it would eliminate the need of a second hole for cable passthrough and I could also move my virgin media socket to this and have even more space on the wall and less cuts.
Thank you!

I understand rules and their importantce, but shouldn't I be able to move the plug wherever I want as long as it is safe for it to be moved, without damaging wiring?

I understand rules and their importantce, but shouldn't I be able to move the plug wherever I want as long as it is safe for it to be moved, without damaging wiring?

Indeed. Nothing wrong with a socket behind a TV. It's a very common thing to do.

I don't really want it behind TV. I want it about 200-250mm from floor level, behind a TV unit.
you can fit the socket wherever you want it, having regard to safe zones and eliminating possible damage to flexes etc. the regs. are made by the IET, not the Gestapo. ( you vill NOT be shot at dawn).

Reply to Wall socket relocation lower than it is in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net