Discuss wander lead in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davidcaulfield

This is going to sound stupid but when testing the continuity of bonding conductors does everyone else connect a lead to the met then test the from the lead to the cable?

This is going to sound stupid but when testing the continuity of bonding conductors does everyone else connect a lead to the met then test the from the lead to the cable?

I was taught to DISCONNECT the bonding at the MET, crocodile clip onto end of cable with a long wander lead and at the pipework end ALWAYS probe onto the pipework NOT the cable clamp, if you get a satisfactoy reading through the pipe you are deffo good, if you probe onto the clamp you arent testing the actual connection through the pipe.
SIMILARLY YOU ALWAYS DISCONNECT AT THE MET TO REMOVE THE POSSIBILITY OF FINDING A ROUTE THROUGH OTHER PIPEWORK ETC EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE CONTINUITY IN THE CABLE YOU ARE TESTING

Test between each end of the bonding conductor with supply isolated and conductor removed from MET

Agreed. And im probably the only person that has a proper R2 lead aren't i...bet everyone just uses a self-made one(nothing wrong with that), but what can i say, i like to waste money on tools/equipment + it looks abit more professional aswell :)

I was taught to DISCONNECT the bonding at the MET, crocodile clip onto end of cable with a long wander lead and at the pipework end ALWAYS probe onto the pipework NOT the cable clamp, if you get a satisfactoy reading through the pipe you are deffo good, if you probe onto the clamp you arent testing the actual connection through the pipe.
SIMILARLY YOU ALWAYS DISCONNECT AT THE MET TO REMOVE THE POSSIBILITY OF FINDING A ROUTE THROUGH OTHER PIPEWORK ETC EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE CONTINUITY IN THE CABLE YOU ARE TESTING
thing is though....at college they told us to disconnect at the BS951....and conduct the test to the MET....
but how the hell is this proving the integrity of the BS951?...
crackers innit...

thing is though....at college they told us to disconnect at the BS951....and conduct the test to the MET....
crackers innit...

I remember being told that glenn, and how many clamps have you seen just wrapped around layers of paint? I tested a gaff the other day and ended up destroying some boxing as I couldn't find decent continuity turned out to be just clamped straight onto gloss, no effort made to remove any paint!

Agreed. And im probably the only person that has a proper R2 lead aren't i...bet everyone just uses a self-made one(nothing wrong with that), but what can i say, i like to waste money on tools/equipment + it looks abit more professional aswell :)

No chance, wouldn't be seen dead walking about with a drum of 1.5 singles like a lot of cheap skates like to.

well....i made my own up with 30 meters of 1.5mm G/Y tri-rated on an old reel that had been used for phone line...or PCs whatever....
4mm test socket on the reel...multi lam on the cabe end.....works a treat....

crackers innit...

The test is to prove conductor continuity, so the test should be performed between both ends of the conductor. The connections at both ends of the conductor do not need to be included. Your thinking along the lines of an IR test between MET and extraneous pipework??

I went to a job where the electrician before said he tested the bonding to the met which had continuity. I went and tested with removing it and found the bonding was connected to a socket lol. Just checking I was doing it right. Hopefully he's reading this .... Hello Pete lol!!!

I was also told the bonding should e less than 0.05 ohms

the 0.05 ohms is the reading you should get between separately bonded services, e.g. water to gas. the resistance of any bonding cable will depend on it's length and csa. e.g 10mm is 0.018ohms per 10m.

The test is to prove conductor continuity, so the test should be performed between both ends of the conductor. The connections at both ends of the conductor do not need to be included. Your thinking along the lines of an IR test between MET and extraneous pipework??
well City & Guilds must be sending out one set of rules for colleges....and another for those offering the 2391...or whatever it is now....
when i did the 2391 it was get the croc on the bonded pipework adjacent to the BS951 eng.....
as has been said as well....theres times when you cant necessarily get to the bonding clamp....so the only way is to get it from a section of known bonded pipe close to where the clamp is...and further more theres many a time i`m sure that as has been mentioned as well we`v all come across attempts by dummys to bond to painted extranious.....

the 0.05 ohms is the reading you should get between separately bonded services, e.g. water to gas. the resistance of any bonding cable will depend on it's length and csa. e.g 10mm is 0.018ohms per 10m.

Hi Tel :)

I remember having long discussions about this a couple of years ago - as i'm not really involved with it much anymore I find I'm forgetting stuff quicker than my hair is falling out - shame i can't remember what the outcome was - but there certainly was one argument that was along the lines of a main protective bonding conductor should have a resistance of no more than 0.05 ohms (and that was why a 10mm MPBC should be no longer than 27M) - otherwise the voltage on the water pipe (or whatever) would not rise high enough to prevent a lethal current flowing through the person touching the line and the water pipe... or something like that.

Making my brain hurt just trying to remember lol

Reply to wander lead in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net