Discuss Want to re-train as an electrician - where do I begin?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dunny2602

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice.

I am 27 years old and am looking to become an electrician. I currently work in Property Management role whereby I pass works on to contractors on behalf of our landlords. I am quite handy myself and am looking to train to become an electrician and then also do general handywork i.e fix cupboards, general plumbing etc.

I am looking for some advice as to where I should begin. I have come across many "fast track" training schemes which sound great but am going to find it very difficult to take 4-6 weeks off work. My wife and I have recently had our first child who is now just over 6 weeks old and so I cannot afford to give up work. I need a course that I can do evenings or weekends without the need to take a lot of time off.

Can anyone suggest the best way? I am currently living in Leeds and would be grateful for any thoughts on how I can start on my way to becoming a fully qualified electrician.

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your help

All the best

Mark

As Tim said really, other than maybe contact your local colleges or training centers to see what courses they run and if so, if they have any particular requirements for you to enroll.

Thank you for your replies.

Would you say that doing a full course in Electrotechnical Technology is needed to become a qualified electrician? I'm just a little afraid that I might be over-qualified for the works I intend on doing.

Where would I begin if I wanted to become a domestic electrician? My intention is to do general property maintenance for myself and I feel that being a qualified electrician will hep me carry out more of the required works while looking after day to day maintenance of properties.

Where would I begin if I chose to go down the City & Guilds route?

Thanks again for your advice Tim and good luck on your course :)

As someone trying to decide which course to take myself, I read with the above post 'dragon-av' and wondered if anyone has gone that route and trained with Electacourse.com and if so have they taken any exams on the back of it?

All the courses advertised on line pretty much claim to be the best and apart from wasting money on the wrong type of course I would also like to take the most efficient route as at my age I can't afford too many false starts if you know what I mean!

What worked for you and why?

Den.

Alright dunny

Iam in the same boat i have been fitting cctv systems and alarm and access control on building sites for years but as health and safety gets more strict every year i have had to gain sum qualifications to keep the building forms happy for me to do work on their sites

i have just had to get a

cscs card from the joint industry board
An ipaf ticket for using cherry pickers and sissor lifts
a current 17th edition city & guilds
and the eal part p 5 day corse

but every after all that i still need more grades to get a proper JIB card as i want to get into full time sparking

i started the city and guilds 2330 last year and was going to my local college 2 nights aweek but i gave up after 4 months as i work 50 hours a week and going to college 2 nights a week was killing me and my family life

so now am trying to do the AM2 test and also a nvq level 3

but to do the level 3 i have just got a placement with a local contractor and am giving my weekends up for free so that i can gain enough experiece to pass the level 3 and the AM2 test

so the next year will be 7 days aweek for a whole year but this is the only way i can see me getting fully trained

but i was thinking of going on a crash corse for the 2330 but they wanted 6k nasty

all the best on your quest if you find a easy way please instant message me

reguards mike

wondered if anyone has gone that route and trained with Electacourse.com and if so have they taken any exams on the back of it?

Hi Den,

I have just enrolled on the Electacourse 17th Edition course and all looks pretty straightforward so far. Haven't really had it too long but thought that it was best to trial something like this course before spending 1000s on a course offered by the other providers.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks dragon-av for the advice. Hopefully this should get me started on my way to becoming a fully qualified electrician.

Good luck on the courses.

However, qualifications are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg..

You need to get some 'hands on' experience alongside your training.

Hopefully, with your current job, this should give you plenty of contacts!

Hi Den,

I have just enrolled on the Electacourse 17th Edition course and all looks pretty straightforward so far. Haven't really had it too long but thought that it was best to trial something like this course before spending 1000s on a course offered by the other providers.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks dragon-av for the advice. Hopefully this should get me started on my way to becoming a fully qualified electrician.
Hi Mark
Good luck with your studies!
Look forward to your posts.
All the best,
Den

hi i,m presently doing the 2330 course at stoke on trent college. having four children myself can't afford to pay in one hit.the college let you pay monthly over 9 months which is a godsend.

Hi Dunny

I am also wanting to get the 2392-10 in order to make a start as a domestic installer. I am also begging local sparks to let me work with them for free. Have you looked into where you can sit the exam because after reading this forum for weeks it looks like it can be hard for you to turn up and just do the exam at a c&g centre?

How is the course going?

Many of the C&G centres wont take on exam only candidates as this could have an impact on their pass rate if too many fail or score below average.

Thanks for that it does kind of make sense.

One thing I cannot seem to find out is what type of practical test/exam is there for the 2382??

Thanks again

I would suggest that anybody considering changing career and becoming an electrician should buy "Domestic Wiring" by Brian Scaddan. I got it from Amazon for about a tenner. Not only is it a mine of detailed information, it also contains a lot of what you would be taught on these fast track courses, but most importantlly when you've read it you will definitely know whether you want to pursue this career path, before spending thousands on a course.

Reply to Want to re-train as an electrician - where do I begin?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock