Discuss Want to start as a spark. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
First post guys, so treat me gently.

I'm looking to change career in to being an electrician. I've been on and off assisting my old man with a wide variety of electrical work on my days off for the past 5 or so years, such as domestic installation and the odd bit of commercial installation. As such I have a fair bit of practical experience, but want to strike out on my own and get qualified. I've been looking at doing an intensive course for 16 weeks to get my Level 2 & 3 Diploma so I can move on to getting an NVQ after completion. My main goal is to move in to doing larger site work/industrial work. Is this a good direction to start in? Basically I want to become as qualified as possible as quickly as possible, with as large a scope as possible for work.

Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated, as I want to get as much knowledge as possible before making a financially weighty decision.

Thanks in advance.

Don’t rush it would be my advice, 16 weeks is so quick, I would look at doing your C&G 2365 1&2 over 2 years, work along side your dad, third year do your nvq3 and AM2/s. In the first 2 years, start collecting evidence for your nvq and making notes about what you did on each job. And personal if possible I would always try and get training from a college rather than a training centre, those places are just conveyors get you in and get you out and take your money. I have seen a real difference in guys who have studied at college as to the one from training centres.

Don’t rush it would be my advice, 16 weeks is so quick, I would look at doing your C&G 2365 1&2 over 2 years, work along side your dad, third year do your nvq3 and AM2/s. In the first 2 years, start collecting evidence for your nvq and making notes about what you did on each job. And personal if possible I would always try and get training from a college rather than a training centre, those places are just conveyors get you in and get you out and take your money. I have seen a real difference in guys who have studied at college as to the one from training centres.
I fully understand that the best form of training is a longer apprenticeship, however there are some factors that get in the way of that. I'm married with two kids and whilst I've saved a fair chunk of money, it definitely wouldn't be enough to support all of us, for long enough whilst on an apprentices wage. My dad really wouldn't be able to take me on for a multitude of reasons, so that's out. Really I'm trying to make the best out of a bad situation here to be honest, which is that I want to get decently qualified as quickly as possible in order to get a job that I can use to get enough material to get my NVQ.

all these train to be a park in xxxx weeks are aimed at getting you a start in the domestic sector only. they are of no use whatever in the industrial sector. with your practical knowledge so far, you should be able to get work as a spark's mate, then do the 2365 etc. night school at a college. for site work you'll need a cscs or ecs card.

I 100% understand where you are coming from. If you are going to set up on your own and run your own business, brill, you can take stuff at your own pace. The problem come when and if you want to work for someone, you ask for £200 a day and then can’t deliver the goods, I have seen it time and time again, and it’s not from not trying, it is an Experience thing. I’m not saying for a second that this is what you are like, please don’t think I am. I am just talking from what I have seen over the years from others I have come across.

Reply to Want to start as a spark. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net