Discuss Wanting To change careers from, Machinest/working with composites to an Electrician. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Wanting To change careers from, Machinest/working with composites to an Electrici

I suggest that you use the search function on here, then read the responses carefully as this question comes up almost every day on here.

In conclusion of most of the responses - don't even consider it. The reasons are legion.

Re: Wanting To change careers from, Machinest/working with composites to an Electrici

Olly we are disillusioned with our trade at the moment as I am sure you can tell but not many of us would leave it if given the chance (I wouldn't anyway) do not leave a paying job unless you have a good honest offer as times in the building trade are hard. All I would say is there is no quick way to become an electrician those 5week courses are a joke you need to get youself in college and with a company as an apprentice or mate but as said pay is poor at moment but if you make it I dont think you will ever look back its more than a job its a way of life to me good luck

Agreed Stuart it's an obsession. Not sure if that's a good thing or not though. As said dont leave a paying job.

Apologies for the negativeness. Good luck

That'll be NEGATIVITY, not that it is though. REALITY is a better word.

Good advice though. I wouldn't change career from this though either, although I was VERY lucky in that I was got in through a family connection AND worked very hard. Also, I wasn't leaving secure employment, trying to keep a family so I could 'afford' it so to speak.

I don't enjoy giving people a reality check TBH, but I feel compelled to counter the rhetoric coming from these companies selling a dream. I would feel bad if I said 'go for it' knowing full well what I know about the industry, and the OP chucked in a secure paid job and wasted £5K to only then wake up and smell the coffee.

That'll be NEGATIVITY, not that it is though. REALITY is a better word

I have to admit that was poor English from myself. Not something I usually lack in. Long day maybe. Still at least I don't talk like dis n dat. So I'm half way there.

That'll be NEGATIVITY, not that it is though. REALITY is a better word

I have to admit that was poor English from myself. Not something I usually lack in. Long day maybe. Still at least I don't talk like dis n dat. So I'm half way there.

Are you sure ??????????

and the OP chucked in a secure paid job and wasted £5K to only then wake up and smell the coffee.

more like done a 5 week course, woke up and smelled the crap. think on. if a 5 week course could teach in 5 weeks what normally takes 3-4 years, are there not any 5 wwek courses for lawyers. takes them 5 years to learn to spout bullsh1t.

and the OP chucked in a secure paid job and wasted £5K to only then wake up and smell the coffee.

more like done a 5 week course, woke up and smelled the crap. think on. if a 5 week course could teach in 5 weeks what normally takes 3-4 years, are there not any 5 wwek courses for lawyers. takes them 5 years to learn to spout bullsh1t.

but all he wanted was `more`...
please sir...

It depends why you want to become an electrician. If it's something which you've always wanted to do and it genuinely interests you then go into your local college and ask them about courses.
If you've heard there's a massive skills shortage and you can earn £50,747, you're not really bothered about the job but you like the sound of all that money, then you're in for a disappointment.

Go on a 5day Plumbers course, move to Scotland and earn £75/h.
Sorry wrong thread.

Reply to Wanting To change careers from, Machinest/working with composites to an Electrician. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net