Discuss Wap ceiling boost pain in the axxe in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

stidge

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi is it possible to get a ceiling booster (wap) that will plug in and boost my own WiFi signal ( same address) as the one I’ve purchased has its own address and is difficult to set up ?

google powerline adaptors - some have wifi extenders built in

I'm not a fan of these new fangled sockets with far eastern electronics built in!

I'm not a fan of these new fangled sockets with far eastern electronics built in!

Neither am I :)

Personally, I'd hard wire as much as possible and use a decent standalone wireless access point (I'm assuming the OPs current one is the router itself).

Only things at home that use WiFi are things like mobile phones and iPads. Everything else is hard wired, including the Sky Q boxes.

@ SC...have you fitted a BG unit? i bought one last month and have lost the instructions. all i can remember is they said to press some wap button on the router and the router ain't got that button, when it comes to IT, my brain freezes. i can't even use excel.

Oh the joys of wifi repeaters ... I think each repeater must have its own address and be set up in cascade from the origin. Your IPad then locks onto either the origin router or the repeater, depending on where you are in the property. But it was a few years ago that I set one up for a neighbour, so I may be off track.
The WPS button on the router (if pressed) will allow any wifi device through security and attach. Here it's done to get the repeater accepted by the router, as the repeater has no keypad for us to enter the password. Then something similar must be done to get your IPad accepted by the repeater (from memory o_O).

Last edited:
but my router does not have a wps button.

Sorry to hear that Tel !
Have a real close look all over, it might be a reset type of thing that needs a pin to press. But don't press it till you're sure what it is as it may reset the router and take out your ISP password etc.

there looks to be a pin press button, next to the on/off button round the back. seems to say reset. is that it?

Don't press it just yet ... it may cause the ISP link info to be lost. Any chance you can Google up the router instructions?

BG double 1363 socket incorporating wi-fi extender .

https://www.screwflix..com/search?search=BG+wi-fi+extender+socket

If you don’t have a WPS button on your router, you’ll have to set the extender up using your smart phone or PC.
With your smart phone, just connect via WiFi to the BG socket.
Then select your router WiFi network from the list to extend and enter your WiFi network.
Once you have done that, reconnect your smart phone to your Router WiFi network.

great. i'll give that a try. just found the destructions while searching formy wi-fi password. it has option to set up from phone (can't do that as you need to scan a borg cube and i don't know how), or from laptop via a BG website.cheers.

just out of interest, how do you scan them borg cubes .think they's called QR codes?

What type of phone do you have?
With Apple you either download a scanner app, or use the Wallet App on your phone.
With Android, you should just be able to do it from your camera.

What type of phone do you have?
With Apple you either download a scanner app, or use the Wallet App on your phone.
With Android, you should just be able to do it from your camera.
done it.had to download a QR reader app from google play. then it scans with the camera and saves. as for the wi-fi extender, it works a treat. has boosted wi-fi to upstairs from 0 - 1 to 4.

that's what i have. as here:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/britis...-socket-2-1a-1-outlet-usb-charger-white/8865v

Reply to Wap ceiling boost pain in the axxe in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock