• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss was it a labourer? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
so..
gets in to do a test on this new hair salon in Leeds today...

there were 3 new circuits to test + one existing for the window lights...metal clad wylex 4 way with BSEN60898s replacing the BS3036s..

anyway....my (R1 R2)`s are going well until it comes to the window lights...theres 10 of em in there...all class 1s and 5 of em had no R2 continuity....
time to open some enclosures i thinks...
and it was like there had been 2 guys connecting up when they were installed....as some of em had continuity...
but 5 were just left unearthed...and no attempt had been made to stab the CPC into the earth box provided...even the earth screw had never been undone...you could just tell.....
odd.....and they will have been like that for at least 15 years...
anyway, all done and safe...:biggrin:

But it worked didn't it... I have had this before some people are oblivious to "earth" and what it does..

I remember one DB i quoted for some time ago where they had no CPC in the lights and all 35 fittings (lights / switches) were class one. When I quoted for a partial Rewire she said I was on the make as the lights are perfectly fine and work.

I would say the the majority of customers dont understand. I recall failing a periodic a few year ago for no zs on lighting curcuit with class 1 fittings.. When i explained this he replied "Thats rubbish i fitted them lights a few years ago and there was an earth there.. Look ill show you.. Anyway needless to say i didnt get the remidial work.

Reply to was it a labourer? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back