Discuss Was this the right decision? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

depends what book you read but general recommendation is less than 100 ohms for tt system (some recommend 200 ) but in effect you are talking about bringing this down to allow an mcb to trip under earth fault conditions, this is almost impossible to achieve with TT systems unless you are next to the sub station.
any earth fault is dealt with by the rcd, this generally makes the zs readings a bit meaningless if you are trying to compare to max zs for the circuit. what you sometimes find is that the zs is so high that there is less prospective fault current available to trip the mcb than the mcb rating but it still complies!

Looking at the job you had to do I would have been tempted to fit the supply from the rcd switch into a henly which fed a 30ma rcd switch feeding the household circuits and then connected the inverter to a little cu also connected to the henly.

That way you are increasing the safety of the household circuits (albeit at risk of increasing nuisance tripping) and also avoiding using a 30ma for the inverter.

you still need to RCD your PV circuit, also using a single 30ma RCD for all circuits doesn't meet the requirement for discrimination so you would need to fit a 17th ed type board with divided circuits.
I recently had to relocate the board on a TT system (no PV) so had to protect the 5m of tails with a 100ma time delay RCD. The other time I have used this set up was on my folks house. The main board is in the loft, so I fed the garage supply with a 100ma time delay RCD then fitted a 30ma RCD on the garage board so hopefully if the garage tripped you didn't have to go up into the loft to reset the main RCD.
If your board is near the point of entry of course this isn't necessary.

the earthing conductor can be quite small as long as its protected from corrosion and damage. It will only ever need to carry 100ma so it isn't really working too hard!

It will quite easily carry more than 100mA under earth fault conditions.
An RCD is not a current limiting device. The higher impedance of the earth path results in a lower current flow hence TT systems generally get away with smaller earthing conductors.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will quite easily carry more than 100mA under earth fault conditions.
An RCD is not a current limiting device. The higher impedance of the earth path results in a lower current flow hence TT systems generally get away with smaller earthing conductors.
Sorry maybe I was tired an made an oversimplification , it won't carry more than 100ma for more than the time the trip is able to trip in! The impedance is another valid point.

It will carry the whole earth fault current but only for the time the RCD takes to trip if the fault current is more than the rating of the RCD, 100mA in this case.

If there's a earth fault at the end of a circuit with a ZS of 35ohms then earth fault current will be 230/35 = 6.57A. As this is more than 100mA then the RCD will trip.

Reply to Was this the right decision? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock