Discuss Washing Machine broken wire. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi. I'd be grateful if anyone can offer me some friendly advice please.

My washer stopped spinning and I discovered the fault to be a broken wire on the motor connector block on the washer side connector.

Here's a picture.Washing Machine broken wire. Connector - EletriciansForums.net

I took the motor out a while ago and cut the tiewrap that secured the cable but I made the mistake of not re-securing it. I think this caused the break due to excessive vibration. I think it's safest to assume the remaining wires are likely damaged also.

There's enough slack to trim the wires back and make the good the connections. I can't see how to remove the wires from the block though. This seems the obvious solution if it's doable.

Failing that, could I remove the connector and replace it with a suitable terminal block/connector?

Or, should I buy a replacement harness and replace that section?

Or something else?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and also many thanks in advance if you're able to offer me advice.

Cheers

You can get tools which slide in either the front or the back of the block to release the individual connectors.
I imagine on that block, there should be a little cut out on the front where you should be able to poke a thin screwdriver down to release the connector.
A photo showing the front of the connector block would be good.

Reactions: DPG
As above, there will be a way of removing the female pin from the connector. Take a pic of the front, back and the other side of the connector and post them up.

and a pic of the other half of the connector. if that has accessible wiring then wagos may be your easiest option.

Hi again. First and foremost I'd like to say thanks for taking the time. It's very much appreciated.

Here are some better images of the connector numbered 1 to 5.

I've ordered a tool kit off Amazon similar to the one suggested that's available on Prime so should get it tomorrow. I've looked at the connector again and I'm still at loss. I'd be grateful for an idiots guide on how these tools manipulate this connector please.

(telectrix)It's difficult to get an image of the other connector without flipping the washer but I do know the wires are accessible. I've had a look at the Wagos connectors on screwfix. I'm guessing the 24A would be more than adequate?

Thanks again.

Cheers

Washing Machine broken wire. 1 - EletriciansForums.net

Washing Machine broken wire. 2 - EletriciansForums.net

Washing Machine broken wire. 3 - EletriciansForums.net

Washing Machine broken wire. 4 - EletriciansForums.net

Washing Machine broken wire. 5 - EletriciansForums.net

Hmm. Looks like you might have to dismantle the connector body if you want to access the contacts. Likely to be some sort of snap fit to prise open. I also think that they may be IDCs, insulation displacement contacts, similar to Krone or Scotchlok.

If you're not confident, then replacing the wiring loom may be your best bet.

You also get a 10A plug together connector strip you could use to replace the entire plug. Not sure where it's available in the UK, maybe try e-bay...
Washing Machine broken wire. Screenshot - 2 - EletriciansForums.net

Rather than mess about with the existing connector I would remove the connectors completely and, as mentioned above, replace with wagos or similar. Will be a more reliable fix in the long term, especially if you aren't used to working with those sorts of connectors.

agree. get some 2 port wago 221 type connectors. cut off existing plugs, 1 wire at a time and connect each pair.

add to above. these wagos, if you never used before, are easily release able, and designed to make a good connection on fine stranded flex. just strip the wire in accordance with wago instructions, 10mm - 12mm. and 24 A is well adequate.

And send us a photo of it when you've done it! We promise not to be too critical

I have a feeling that the connector block plugs into the back of the motor, not into another connector block.

I have a feeling that the connector block plugs into the back of the motor, not into another connector block.
if it does, he's shafted.

Seems to be quite a lot of black dust, as if from smoke.

I thought the photo showed the two connectors involved and ssume they were both on a loom. But maybe it was all of the same one.

Hi all. Thanks again for all of your responses. I've been away for the weekend so not had chance to update.

The dust I think is just carbon off of the brushes. It's on it's third set.

I looked into what you suggested HandySparks about it being an IDC connector and I'm certain you are right. I tried in vain to find a replacement IDC connector but I gave up as I don't really know what I'm looking for and there's so many. I tried pulling it apart with 2 pairs of pliers, but I found the force I needed to apply was starting to crush the connector and it hadn't even budged. Is this typical or am I doing something wrong?

I also looked into the wago connectors. I found them on Screwfix but the 221's (lever type) they only had available in 32A as a 100 pack at £30.00. They do have some wago pushfit ones which are 24A and are £13ish. Would these be suitable also?

I've had another idea and would appreciate your thoughts. I've posted a couple of pics showing the male connector from the motor.
The wires on this side of the connector are fine. Could I cut off the female connector and crimp 'push on' connectors to the wires and use some heat shrink tubing and insert them directly to each of the pins on the male connector?

Once again thankyou for all your feedback and I look forward to your responses.

Cheers

Washing Machine broken wire. 6 - EletriciansForums.net

Washing Machine broken wire. 7 - EletriciansForums.net

wago 221's are the answer. sure you can get them in smaller quantities than 100. try here. £2.88 for 10.
Wago 221 Compact Lever Splicing Connector 4.00mm - 2 Pole - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WA412C.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o2&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=WA412C&product_partition_id=174057596467&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvezZBRDkARIsADKQyPmw06Q8XTBPegkHQ2KIePHgSuTAinmkqfvllb47ub99pxkpaVKXY2gaAts9EALw_wcB

cutwire 1 at a time , twist the strands neatly. push fit wagos are no use for fine stranded cables. stripping length is approx. 12mm.and mate up to the corresponding wire on the other side. 32A load is fine.

I think what I would do there, is cut the corresponding wire on the motor side connector and use a single 30A Wago or connector block just to reconnect the broken wire.
Then plug the multi connector block back in.
If any more break, just fix them individually.

Reply to Washing Machine broken wire. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock