Discuss Washing Machine In Bathroom! in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andrew692003

Hi guys,

I've been asked to wire a washing machine into a bathroom/showeroom. Whats the new regulations for that nowadays with all the changes?

If I put an isolator outside the door and connect the washing machine into a flex outlet would this be allowed now?

I will be taking a radial circuit protected by an RCD to feed the machine.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

ps. I'm in Scotland, I think our rules are different! :)

They need to be 0.6 meters min from shower/bath in the outside zone
Switched fused spur and flex outlet
Rcd protection and the machine and accessories should be suitable for the environment, although the regs stipulate when they are in the zones,so I take it that means it is not a requirement when outside but worthwhile anyway

Hi andrew

I don't know much about the Scottich regs, but a washing machine is class I and not fixed to the wall and it has to be outside the zones so if the bathroom is big enough to do that ...

Actually, the regs don't cover this situation: run a flex extension lead int the bathroom and then use it within zone 0

So, no, I wouldn't do it.

Cheerio

Cheers guyz!

I was actually to lazy to look up the guide last night but I've had a look now. The bathroom is large and the machine would fit 0.6m away from the basin and shower the only thing it states in the regs which is allowed are quote:

'whirlpool units, electric showers, shower pumps, ventilation equipment, towel rails, water heaters and luminaires'.

So that seems to rule it out but whats the difference between a washing machine and the stated appliances especially when it will have RCD protection?

Cheers

All the items you mention in the regs are normally fixed appliances wired in to the circuit, washing machine is normally plugged in. I would think that if the plug was taken off and the washing machine was permanently connected and outside the zones you would not have a problem, does the paperwork for the machine give it an IP rating.

Chris

Hi andrew

I don't know much about the Scottich regs, but a washing machine is class I and not fixed to the wall and it has to be outside the zones so if the bathroom is big enough to do that ...

Actually, the regs don't cover this situation: run a flex extension lead int the bathroom and then use it within zone 0

So, no, I wouldn't do it.

Cheerio

The Scottish regs are the same as the English ones!!!!!!!!!!!

B.S stands for British Standard

Thanks Stef, I may just just set it in the shower cubicle and spur it off the shower, in 10mm of course! :)
Acat, the washing machine won't be IP rated so as I said I'll just put an isolator outside and stick a flex outlet on it, reading the regs I can't see a problem!

I'll let you know if I kill anyone so as you know to not do the same! ;)

Cheers

Thanks for pointing that out :)! Once upon a time I thought they were differences between the 2, maybe I was wrong. I know the different groups are trying to bring everyone together throughout the country and Europe to keep us all under the same roof! Jesus, imagine sorting the Regs out in Spain! Do they even have Regs over there!!!:):)

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andrew I wont touch any washing machines until you let me know:) . I didnt think it would be IP rated so it would have to be outside the zones.

Chris

Cheers guyz!

which is allowed are quote:

'whirlpool units, electric showers, shower pumps, ventilation equipment, towel rails, water heaters and luminaires'.

So that seems to rule it out but whats the difference between a washing machine and the stated appliances especially when it will have RCD protection?

Cheers

The IEE give specific advise about washers in bathrooms

Look in the Electricians guide to the building regs On page 62 it tells you that Washing machines can be fitted in a bathroom as long as
Outside Zones
Supplied from a Switched fused flex outlet
30 m/amp Rcd
Permitted by the manufacturer for the installation

Was trying to remember my college days with regards to Scotland and England.

I`m sure in Scotland you had to put an extra lock nut on a running coupler.

1.5 twin and had to be used on lighting circuits( Domestic).

Sure this was in scottish building regulations.

This was about 18 years ago so the memory plays tricks, but I`m sure there was a couple of other strange ones between the two! Anyone think of any or if this is correct.

Hi bramboy,

I was probably confused with part P - is this different in Scotland?
Of course the IEE regs are the same but like you said the building regs might be different.

I know in Scotland they dont have part p, but you need warrants from the building control and they have a stricter system than in England. You have to be a certifier of construction (same as part p approved)

You have to provide more information to customer. ie. damage to structure, maintenance manuals and genrally sign your life away.

Building regs do differ slightly however is you copmply to 7671 you will comply to the building regs. As for part p we dont use. I dont do any domestic so not sure of rulling.

We do use lockrings and 1.5 t&E for lights but that is just practice rather than rules its drummed in as an appertice.

Reply to Washing Machine In Bathroom! in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net