Discuss Washing Machine in Bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jackall

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello.

I'd be interested in what people think of the following, and any helpful advice.

I want to put a washing-machine in a bathroom and here are the relevant details :

The machine is rated IPX4, power rated at 1850W, has instructions as to how to remove the plug if required, and the manual doesn't say anything about not putting it into a bathroom.
It will be going into an airing cupboard which is totally enclosed, and will be 1.1m from the edge of the bath - so, outside the Zones but within the 3m restriction on socket outlets.
The airing cupboard has the cold water pipe needed for the plumbing and is next to a basin, to which I will be connecting the drainage hose. The cupboard also has a small radiator at the back, which I will need to raise up to accommodate the washing machine.
It also has two switched fused connection units : one for the shaver/light, and one for the hot-air heater (max. 2kW). As far as I can tell, these are currently the only outlets on that particular circuit, which is protected by a 15amp wired fuse. There are three fuse-boxes in the house, all of them with wire fuses.

So, is it doable ? There is nowhere else to put the washer so hopefully it is, but here is what I'm planning :

I don't think there will be any problems with the plumbing but I'm not sure about the electrics! The circuit would seem to need a higher rated fuse (30amp) if the heater and washing machine were used at the same time but I can't see that happening and might even remove the heater, especially if it's necessary to be able to get the washing machine connected. Would it be possible to just change the current 15amp fuse to a 30amp one? I've also noticed that the actual fuse already there is in upside-down in the box but can't see how that matters...?
Also, because there is no RCD protection anywhere within the electricity supply, I was thinking of using an RCD protected Switched Fused Connection Unit with flex outlet, wired in to one of the other FCDs already in the airing cupboard.

Anyway, I have two choices : If people here think the above is OK, I will get in touch with the LABC and take it from there; but if you think it sounds a bit tricky or dodgy, I will get in touch with a local electrician. I would like to have a go at it myself, though. Although I have City and Guilds Certificates in plumbing and electrics, I don't have a Part P qualification, but I have done a lot of the training (especially on testing and the effects on other parts of the Building Regs, etc.) and do have The Electrician's Guide and the 7671 17th Wiring Regs. Therefore, this would be good experience for me, especially as I hope to do more such work as a self-employed handyman.

Maybe you're all going to warn me off this and suggest I try a different career (!) but I would be grateful for any feedback.
Thanks.

well. first impressions...... don't uprate that fuse. it's probably protecting a 2.5mm cable ( radial ) and should stay at 15A. was the circuit originally for an immersion heater? i would seriously consider an alternative location for the washing machine, or buy one of these.

dolly.jpg

amazing what you find when you googledolly tub
220px-Dolly_Parton_2011.jpg

Last edited:
well. first impressions...... don't uprate that fuse. it's probably protecting a 2.5mm cable ( radial ) and should stay at 15A. was the circuit originally for an immersion heater? i would seriously consider an alternative location for the washing machine, or buy one of these.

dolly.jpg

The woman comes extra as I have found out previously

dolly.jpg

When did Alice Cooper dye his hair?

Thanks for the female-related suggestions...but back to the electrics!

There may well have been a hot-water tank and immersion heater in the airing cupboard, so I suppose one of the FCUs has been re-used from powering that to powering either the fan-heater or shaver unit.
Maybe not worth the hassle, then, because it sounds like the electrics are more complicated than I was hoping?

bear in mind that the maximum current that radial 2.5mm will safely handle is around 25A (less if derated due to how it's routed), feeding it through a 32A rewireable that won't blow below around 45A is a recipe for disaster.

I would like to have a go at it myself, though. Although I have City and Guilds Certificates in plumbing and electrics, I don't have a Part P qualification, but I have done a lot of the training (especially on testing and the effects on other parts of the Building Regs, etc.) and do have The Electrician's Guide and the 7671 17th Wiring Regs.

Sounds like someone else that has a wiring regs qualification and thinks he's ''qualified'' to mess around with electrical installations...

dolly.jpg

You still trying to sell your Granny Tel??

put it this way, geordie. i wouln't climb over her to get to you.

Sounds like someone else that has a wiring regs qualification and thinks he's ''qualified'' to mess around with electrical installations...

No, not at all. I'm someone who has a minor electrical qualification, has done some practical and classroom electrical training, and who wants to to be able to do work for myself and others where possible. I would only do work that I was confident of being able to do and would ask questions, like here, to find out if it might be possible for me to do something. Having asked the question, I can now see that this work is not feasible, and that it would probably cost a lot to get an electrician in, due to all the other bits that would need doing before the washing-machine could be safely installed in the bathroom.
Thanks to those who took the time to inform me.

No, not at all. I'm someone who has a minor electrical qualification, has done some practical and classroom electrical training, and who wants to to be able to do work for myself and others where possible. I would only do work that I was confident of being able to do and would ask questions, like here, to find out if it might be possible for me to do something. Having asked the question, I can now see that this work is not feasible, and that it would probably cost a lot to get an electrician in, due to all the other bits that would need doing before the washing-machine could be safely installed in the bathroom.
Thanks to those who took the time to inform me.

I don't see why its not feasible? Id spur off the heating circuit and as long as its 2.5mm circuit upgrade to a 20 amp at the board, fairly simple job

I think the main problem is the lack of RCD protection on the board (or anywhere) and the circuit I want to use presently being a 15amp wire one, bearing in mind what telectrix has written above. Not simple for me, anyway!

well, if you think that a 3kW immersion heater has been happily running off that 15A fuse, then a washing machine won't be a problem, load wise. the problem you have is that a RCD must be fitted to any circuits in a bathroom. the most cost effective way of doing this is a stand alone RCD for that one circuit. it can be done with your existing fuseboard, but considering the fact that a bathroom is the worst place, safety wise as regards electrical work, it's got to be a spot-on job. a qualified sparks with the correct test equipment and the competence to use is what's needed. not a DIY job if you want to be sure it's safe. there's also the question of verifying that the earthing and bonding arrangements are adequate.

I think the main problem is the lack of RCD protection on the board (or anywhere) and the circuit I want to use presently being a 15amp wire one, bearing in mind what telectrix has written above. Not simple for me, anyway!

Fair enough, but it doesn't sound like you need rcd protection to me as its in a cupboard and not technically in a bathroom.

and it will incorpoate a socket outlet which itself will rerquire RCD protection whether it's in the bathroom or in his ferret hutch.

What about the 3 metres from zone 1 ie you can now put power in a room with a bath as long as it is 3 metres from zone 1 (bath) sounds to me this guy wants to put a cupboard in to get round this so I would say no you cannot do this .

OT, i think th cupboard is already there. still don't like the idea though.

Washing machines and tumble dryers in bathrooms is very common in Cyprus. The Bathrooms are generally a lot bigger than most in the UK, but certainly not 3m from the bath tub/shower. Come to that, you can see this in quite a few European countries and beyond. But then none of these countries have the draconian stipulations about socket outlets in they're bathrooms. So long as the outlet(s) are placed sensibly, and have RCD protection, (some require 10mA RCD) then it's not a problem!!

Reply to Washing Machine in Bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net