Discuss Washing Machine Rcd Tripping ! in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all I'm sure it's an old frequently asked one but had a callout this afternoon where young couple just bought brand new high end Miele washing machine and had plugged into an old powerbreaker rcd socket in garage. As soon as it's turned on to start any program and door interlock operates as next part of sequence cuts in internally the rcd trips. I explained basically that machines, fridges, IT kit can all leak a bit of current and cause nuisance tripping. It is brand new though but it's also very electronic based too. I tested the socket with my Fluke MFT and on ramp test it tripped fine @ 24mA on 0 degree and falling 180 degree sides and on auto test rcd it was at 38.6 ms on x 1 and 18ms on x 5 settings just standard 30mA red socket. All fed via a spur cable from in house upstairs ring from BS3036 board. Do you think get machine checked out / replaced or just maybe extra leakage from circuitry inside ? I mean 3.5mA usual for a washer but must be somewhere around 24mA as that's the point the Fluke reads it tripping.

Best bit I thought was sketchy was that from that socket it's spurred off again to an fcu for ancient boiler controls and 6mm earth singles onto pipes there are from BS951 clamps and poked into the socket itself earth terminal so in effect bonded back on a single 1.5mm cpc from the spur cable.

Hi SS, I think you are right to be concerned. A modern machine should not fire an RCD. I am sure Miele would not consider it normal. I would perhaps do one more check before sending it back though - try to operate the washer via your own known good extension lead back to a socket on a good circuit in the house (still within RCD cover). From what you've said I suspect the garage wiring more than Miele, but what would I know? (Did the old washer work on that garage outlet?) Cheers, David.

Hi Wilko, yes apparently old machine was in situ and ran fine on the rcd socket in place then, when they moved in after buying house in January and they had run the machine up today on an extension reel from kitchen ring but no rcd/ rcbo involved as just an old Wylex 3036 board with the 3871 replacement 2 pin push fit mcb's. I just had a test of the rcd side and noticed the rather lacksadaisy bond to the pipe / socket cpc terminal !

Agree sounds like a faulty washer as the RCD seems to be OK. Maybe shipping damage, I have seen a brand new washer wiring loom mashed by the tub when it was manhandled without the transit bolts in. Or moisture in the element from leakage during test. If there's nothing else running from the load side of the RCD socket, the tripping is unlikely to be caused by faulty wiring.

Agree sounds like a faulty washer as the RCD seems to be OK. Maybe shipping damage, I have seen a brand new washer wiring loom mashed by the tub when it was manhandled without the transit bolts in. Or moisture in the element from leakage during test. If there's nothing else running from the load side of the RCD socket, the tripping is unlikely to be caused by faulty wiring.
No nothing else from load side mate, just spurred on feed side to fcu for boiler control. oh and he said there was an issue with waste too as when the fitter delivered it and fired it up.. during pump out cycle it didn't exit the inch quarter drain and shot back out all over the back of machine ! maybe he's soaked the internals too lol.

No nothing else from load side mate, just spurred on feed side to fcu for boiler control. oh and he said there was an issue with waste too as when the fitter delivered it and fired it up.. during pump out cycle it didn't exit the inch quarter drain and shot back out all over the back of machine ! maybe he's soaked the internals too lol.
I think there's your problem!
The guys on the plumbing forum might be able to tell you how to get fault codes on the display if it has one.

Weird one that no codes at all, just runs up like normal but trips straight off, before inlet valves opened or anything so couldn't see a new machine / drum motor being in excess of 20mA leakage. Going back Weds for other little jobs now so see then. Only text me tonight referencing the drain issue !
Cheers

No codes will trigger if power is lost, sounds like a faulty washer as others have said, to put this in context, a recent customer bought 50 washers for a a mill conversion to flat and 9 of them had issues that tripped the rcd, welcome to the world of EU trading barrier from the rest of the world that we had imposed on us, this has seen mass manufactured good of poor quality because of limited competition with over the top prices.

One benefit of brexit is competition will now be imposed on our imports with the EU and quality should rise while costs should reduce.

I see this on a regular basis with machinery from Italy that is poorly designed, with cheap parts and the reality is you can buy a high quality alternative if we had the trading agreements for less... viva la brexit on this matter!

No codes will trigger if power is lost, sounds like a faulty washer as others have said, to put this in context, a recent customer bought 50 washers for a a mill conversion to flat and 9 of them had issues that tripped the rcd, welcome to the world of EU trading barrier from the rest of the world that we had imposed on us, this has seen mass manufactured good of poor quality because of limited competition with over the top prices.

One benefit of brexit is competition will now be imposed on our imports with the EU and quality should rise while costs should reduce.

I see this on a regular basis with machinery from Italy that is poorly designed, with cheap parts and the reality is you can buy a high quality alternative if we had the trading agreements for less... viva la brexit on this matter!
Thanks DW I'll check on it in the week and if no good get them to call it in while it's only a few days old.

Sounds like the fitters haven't cut a hole in the waste outlet for the drain hose.
You mention that the water then soaked the electrics? The customer should be getting the fitters back as they could end up being liable rather than them pointing the finger at you

Reply to Washing Machine Rcd Tripping ! in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net