Discuss Washing Machine Tripping RCD?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisgc

Hi all,

My brother has not long called me and has informed me that the washing machine keeps tripping the RCD.

Just wondered the inspection procedure to narrow down the actuall fault?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Chris

Turn off machine and reset RCD. Then see which part of the machines cycle trips the RCD good chance it will be when the machine starts to empty and the pump kicks in.

Turn off machine and reset RCD. Then see which part of the machines cycle trips the RCD good chance it will be when the machine starts to empty and the pump kicks in.

Would my PAT tester determine any faults on the machine OR is it more likely to be a fault on the circuit it is plugged into??

Chris

I would say most likely the fault would be on the machine but i have been known to be wrong.

guess at machine as well.often be the heater element, esp. if you are in a hard water area. to poove or disprove, i would first do a PAT on it, then if no fault apparent, try it on a cold wash.

It might pick up the fault if the machine is at the part of the cycle that is casusing the problems. Easiest thing to do is disconnect the machine and then test the RCD to ensure it is functioning correctly. Then you will know circuit or machine.

Washing machines are a pain! Your PAT may show a fault but I think unlikely, as said before, more likely on a specific cycle the machine is on

It might pick up the fault if the machine is at the part of the cycle that is casusing the problems. Easiest thing to do is disconnect the machine and then test the RCD to ensure it is functioning correctly. Then you will know circuit or machine.

Not totally sure what stage of cycle it is at.

But it has only occured today and has tripped a few times ALSO have been told by my brother that there is still water in the machine (guessing they decided not to continue trying the machine as kept tripping).

So do you think maybe the following:

1 - Pat Test machine (after checking plug etc)
2 - If above all fine then checking socket outlet.

What other possible tests might I need to try?

(Just dont want to be wasting time if its a machine problem).

If you don't want to waste time if it is a machine fault then just test circuit and RCD job done.

90% of the time if its not the kettle or toaster, its the washing machine.

Yep prove the circuit is healthy.

If the circuit and rcd is given the all clear
Test the heating elements, and then a very possible culprit "the motor"
Right sods for earth faults

It has been known for some people to dis connect the earth strap to the motor, just to see if the tripping dis appears I believe.
Naughty hey

bugger the element. do cold washes and save on the leccy bill

had this fault on our own machien is under warrenty still so just got them out to it how ever it turned out to be a circuit board that has gone twice in the last 12 months

what make is the machine, so i know not to buy one like yours

Reply to Washing Machine Tripping RCD?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net