• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Waste of £600? Am2 exam failure? Or am I worrying in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

Redkipper

EF Member
Hi guys,
Sat my AM2 today and yesterday overall I think it went well all bar one quite bad mistake.
When running my cables in (singles) from the CCU to the DOL starter I didn't bring a Neatural.
I completed my dead test on the circuit using on each phase to Earth and obtained my highest R1 + R2 reading
When completing all my dead tests I moved onto live testing. I reached my live test on the DOL starter when live and got no reading.
I asked the assessor for advise to which he pointed out no Neatural.
He allowed me to pull another one in.
I'm aware you are allowed to fix faults within the build and this was the only one, however is this enough to fail me?
Currently thinking have I got to retake this for another 500 odd quid!!

Thanks in advance for any comments

Strima

Electrician's Arms
If they fail you for that you will only have to retake that part of the assessment.

TBH if that was the only thing you did wrong I can't see you having any problems getting a pass.

Redkipper

EF Member
If they fail you for that you will only have to retake that part of the assessment.

TBH if that was the only thing you did wrong I can't see you having any problems getting a pass.

Really hope so,
I am quite sure my Install will pass overall for terminations correct glands etc just that neutral I am concerened about.
I was allowed to bring a new one as I said and I made sure I turned off locked off and key away to stop any one 're engerising whilst I rewired.

Also bit of a sticky question on the online exam.
Do hotels need to comply with Part P?
Getting mixed messages when I look online
I used the electricians guide to the building regs for my answer and if it's a business it does not however it was so vague!!!
Cheers

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Part P is only for domestic so would not apply to a hotel.

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
What test required the neutral conductor because many DOL starter circuits do not incorporate a neutral.

Redkipper

EF Member
What test required the neutral conductor because many DOL starter circuits do not incorporate a neutral.

Correct, so that's why I thought I didn't need to take the Neatural there, however he said because it's 230v it needs the Neutral
It was a functionality test I was completing. When operating the motor I was not getting a reading

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.