Discuss Wasted Spark Coil Pack Fault in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I recently had a coil pack fail highlighted by a misfire on cylinder 1. I took out the plug, turned over the engine and sure enough no spark on cylinder 1. I then checked the spark on cylinder 2 and it was perfect so i swapped the plug and lead on cylinder 1 and 2. The fault stayed on cylinder 1.

I then emoved the coil pack and both primary and secondary coils tested fine for resistance but as I knew the leads and plugs were good I knew it could only be the coil pack and sure enough changing the coil pack cleared the fault.

So my question is how can a wasted spark coil pack fail in such a way that the spark is lost on only one cylinder? If cylinder 1 plug was not sparking how was the circuit being made for the companion cylinder?

The only reasonable conclusion i can come to is that although cylinder 1 was not sparking it was still somehow conducting allowing the circuit to complete through both plugs. If this is the case what failed in the coil pack that only affected the cylinder 1 spark and not its companion?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Is this on an outboard motor by any chance?

Thanks for the replies!

The fault is on an 02 plate Ford KA.

The firing order is 1-3-4-2. The companion cyliner is cylinder 4. I mentioned cylinder 2 as I tested the spark on that to check the plug and lead were good before I transferred them onto cylinder 1.

In hindsight I now realise I should have checked the spark on cylinder 4 but it wasn't until I had replaced the coil pack that I started to wonder what was actually wrong with the coil pack.

Any ideas what could have been wrong with it?

Broken termination inside the coil pack on number one cylinder where the HT lead joins it.

I can't see it could be a broken termination on cylinder 1 as if that was the case I there would have been no spark on cylinder 4. If that was the case not only would it have not run but I would also have been getting an error code on cylinder 4 too.

I also don't see how it could be a primary coil. If that was the case I would have again been missing both cylinders 1 and 4. I also tested all four coils for resistance and the values were all within spec.

I just can't see what could have been wrong with the coil pack given the symptoms but I also know changing it resolved the problem.

Reply to Wasted Spark Coil Pack Fault in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock