Discuss Wasted thousands doing level 2/3 can't find work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

All this is not a sob story, but I am becoming very frustrated that I have spent so much time and money training to get my qualifications. And now that I am applying for work, no one is willing to give me a chance. After following the advice from more experienced sparks on here. I have probably applied to about 30 jobs as an electrician's mate, and have not been offered work.

Starting to become apparent to me the only way to get into this trade is if you have a dad or an uncle who knows a guy etc.

Wish I could go back in time and choose not to waste my hard earned money on something that leads to nowhere.

Any ideas/suggestions on what I am doing wrong are very welcome.

Ps: I am thinking of advertising myself on gumtree for small jobs I know I can handle. Seems like the only way to get kick started. I don't want to be at the mercy of others anymore.

Put an add in your local flyer/newsletter etc. The older generation tend to read through these a lot.

set up a good cv and send them to as many agencys as you can if you have your cscs card you will find work very easy with these agencys hopefully in time when you eventually get your jib card a firm might take you on good luck don't give up.

There are people with perfect qualifications for a job, not just electrical, that have applied for hundreds of jobs before getting an offer.
Don't be put off by not getting an offer yet.

You could get exactly the same lack of response if you applied for a job sweeping roads.

If you're using a C.V vary it slightly, there may be something putting people off.
Test the C.V on relatives / friends, they may spot something.

Hi

All this is not a sob story, but I am becoming very frustrated that I have spent so much time and money training to get my qualifications. And now that I am applying for work, no one is willing to give me a chance. After following the advice from more experienced sparks on here. I have probably applied to about 30 jobs as an electrician's mate, and have not been offered work.

Starting to become apparent to me the only way to get into this trade is if you have a dad or an uncle who knows a guy etc.

Wish I could go back in time and choose not to waste my hard earned money on something that leads to nowhere.

Any ideas/suggestions on what I am doing wrong are very welcome.

Ps: I am thinking of advertising myself on gumtree for small jobs I know I can handle. Seems like the only way to get kick started. I don't want to be at the mercy of others anymore.
Question have you posted a CV or just applied with out one?

OP, you need a site card before anything else. either cscs or ECS. then you can register with a few agencies just to get foot in door. if and when the firm that is hiring you from the agencey is happy with you, then you can go for direct employment. think the law is that after agency working for the same client fot x weeks ( think around 13) then the firm must either take you on or bung you back to agency. OK< agency work ain't the best, but it can get you in there.

As other have said, get your CV looked at by others, preferable folk who do that for real (agency, collage) as some folk do badly in that area despite being good at their job.

Also keep trying even though its a depressing task.

Put yourself in the position of the folk doing the hiring: you get hundreds of applicants for a post and only have the time to interview half a dozen at best so what do you do? Usually it is a ruthless first cut to get the numbers down, cut out all without the basic requirements on paper. Then what? You probably have 50 to go, so if your CV is not great you won't get to the interview stage at all. If your CV is average you will be lucky to get past this second read-over and its often like drawing straws as to who gets asked in for the interview.

If interviewed and rejected, again don't give up.

There was one job, and probably half a dozen interviewed so unless you are much better than any of them it will also be gut-feeling or small things that decided who got it. Don't take it personally and ask politely for any feedback on how you did. Some are helpful, and even if you don't get help on technique, nerves never help anyone and after one or two interviews you will find it easier.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Your problem might be to do where you live. I live in a rural country town, and I did some subbing for a small firm, before I did my own work. They kept asking me to work for them, and I’m not blowing up my own bum, they found it difficult to get staff.

As davesparks said, what are you qualifications? Your profile is limited.

Yep, yep, I know this all too well and was the reason why I went onto study electrical engineering, I now get more interviews because I've completed a HND. Really, i've just stopped caring and am much happier now, if anything comes up i'll take it but i'm not expecting anything.

If the OP spent thousands on training it sounds like they might of done the C&G 2365 at a company like able skills or trade skills 4 u for example. Problem then is they pass the exams but have no experience which is why apprenticeship is a better route albeit a slower route. I applied to over 70 apprenticeships before I got accepted. At OP don't give up & keep applying

@Cableguy337
One of the things that will help getting a job is having a positive outlook rather than feeling hard done by, and just trying and trying and trying again.
Oh yes, and saying thanks to those above who took the time to reply ?

You still have your youth , ( and if you have "The Interest" )
there is a good chance you will retain plenty of this - for when
business picks up -- There is no easy money , all trades have competition now.
(and parking hell in London)
..as echoed by others No #3 Will help us give you more..

Hi I went through this same situation towards the end of last year, had the paperwork but not the hands on, I had 2365 level 2 and 3 and 18th, ipaf, ecs card. I had been applying to job after job but no luck. Heres what i found, you need to call the jobs on indeed, total and the like as your apply now cv send doesn't get a lot of interest. Call the agencies daily tell them you are available. Persistence pays off with the agencies, its not the best work but its work where you can start to learn, be humble ask questions don't blag it. with regards to that perfect job i.e local sparks takes you under their wing an looks after you and teaches you and helps you progress they are harder to get. i reached out on here about my CV and someone helped me re write mine listing all the elements i had been learning on site and dressing it to read correctly to this industry. I then went onto check a trade and set 5 miles radius from home found all sparks with contact details and websites to get addresses etc then hand delivered my cv to approx 40. followed up by phone call 2 days later. out of that i now have weekend work with 2 different local guys small firms but the "Right" kind of work.

When talking to the guys why they bothered to chat with me and then offer work, both said my approach showed more effort had gone into looking for a role than just ringing or emailing asking for a Mate's position to which they get 3/4 calls a day.

Its out there be persistent and it will come,

ECS card and maybe IPAF training. I had no experience but got agency work straight away once I had these. I was honest about my experience but my first employer didn't care as long as I listened when I was shown and worked hard. Agency up our way was paying £13.00/hr for ipaf qualified sparks mates to zip tie cables all day.

Reply to Wasted thousands doing level 2/3 can't find work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net