Discuss WATER AND ELECTRICS - JUST HOW CLOSE IS SAFE? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JOURNEYMAN

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,
I visited a property yesterday which consists of two shops with a flat above each shop. This was a preliminary visit on behalf of the new owners who are looking to refurbish and rent out. I went to check out the supply, bonding etc. and found a single phase supply feeding both shops and both flats, this being located in a very narrow cloakroom at the rear of one of the shops. The proximity of the basin (as in photo) is approx. 600mm directly opposite from the supply and all the exposed meters, cables, fuse boards, etc. The double socket outlet on the right hand wall next to the toilet pan I assume is instead of a traditional toilet roll holder? The yellow rubber gloves personal protective clothing? I couldn't find a sou' wester and wellies though!

Ling.jpg

Also love the repurposing of 2.5 as the yellow glove rail. And various others, but I'm sure you've seen 'em :).
Looks like cutout was there first and then a clever person added the toilet. Folks blundering into the electrics and water splashes from hot, cold and cleaner's taps - as @mhar says - perhaps build a cupboard?

I'm sure shops and flats require a separate meter?

If there is one meter, the whole installation is subject to Part P. If there are separate meters only the domestic dwellings would be subject to it, so theoretically the whole place can be on one meter.

Page 20 of the OSG (BBB version).

I'm waiting on the new drawings and designs for the property and envisage new supplies going in as it is going to be extended and altered somewhat. However, you're right, if the electrics were to remain I'd be looking to make a cupboard around them. The green yellow is from the MET which is located out of camera shot alongside the service cut out. (TNS). Yes, it does fall under Part P (Page 5. Section 2.2d) as it is one supply and meter for the shops and flats above.
The place is a mess, with over 60 recessed light fittings removed from one of the shops aloneby the previous occupier. The ceilings look like Mozzarella cheese!

and I got roasted by "mentioning" that had a socket hidden under a sink unit but some brit spark installed this abortion then hacked it to make it even more of an abortion.

Am I the only one thinking that Ken Dodd was the last to use that Kazi and left his tickling stick behind? - ok, only me then!
Great photo, it’s like one of those ‘find the treasure’ games!

Am I the only one thinking that Ken Dodd was the last to use that Kazi and left his tickling stick behind? - ok, only me then!
Great photo, it’s like one of those ‘find the treasure’ games!
You are from Bristol and live a sheltered life..... ;o)))

That's a cheap bog from Screwfix. I fitted one in my down stairs lav and it has the same f*c*##g annoying unsymmetrical base, absolutely impossible to get it looking square. Very annoying.

That's a cheap bog from Screwfix. I fitted one in my down stairs lav and it has the same f*c*##g annoying unsymmetrical base, absolutely impossible to get it looking square. Very annoying.
well how can you make it look square when it's bloody round?
here's a square one:
81pNbWYGYPL._SY355_.jpg

now who's got a square arse to fit it?

Reply to WATER AND ELECTRICS - JUST HOW CLOSE IS SAFE? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock