Discuss Water Distiller Keeps Shorting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Ive got an elderly water distiller that packed in a few weeks ago, with a suspected blown heating element (kept tripping the main fuse).
Sent away for new parts, installed them and now it just blows the local fuse, accompanied by a flash and a bang. :(
Ive been over it all with a multimeter and can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I've replaced the thermal reset switch as well.
Attached is a pic showing the connections - I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Many thanks

distiller wiring copy.jpg

Hi Folks,

Ive got an elderly water distiller that packed in a few weeks ago, with a suspected blown heating element (kept tripping the main fuse).
Sent away for new parts, installed them and now it just blows the local fuse, accompanied by a flash and a bang. :(
Ive been over it all with a multimeter and can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I've replaced the thermal reset switch as well.
Attached is a pic showing the connections - I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Many thanks

View attachment 38948
Would have been more cost effective to get someone in to look at your equipment who is qualified to do son. sorry to be so blunt, but would you start messing with your Gas boiler if it went US?

I thought this was a place for advice rather than admonishments, Pete...
I wasn't admonishing you Jonathan, that was my advice, what you must appreciate is fault finding is not just a case of changing the thing you think is faulty. it's actually a case of tracing the fault, in many cases it will be a simple problem which can be resolved easily, however some faults are more difficult to resolve.
Changing equipment is not always the answer.
If I have offended you that was not my intention, my point was if you are proficient at administration, or service providing then stick to what you are good at.
Many safety problems can be bypassed by folk, trying to save money and time by trying to resolve a problem, that they have very little knowledge of, my point about the Gas fitter was valid, electricity, is as dangerous as Gas, more so in fact as you can't smell it, until it has burnt you to a crisp, so I'll stand by my advice, there was never an intention to be little you at all, so please take my post as it was intended, safety first, hope you get your problem sorted.

Last edited:
it's past beer o'clock on a wet sunday, yous bound to get a bit of unhelpful comments, but as pete says, finding faults is a dark art in itself. i'm only good at ti coz i sold my soul to Theakston's.

it's past beer o'clock on a wet sunday, yous bound to get a bit of unhelpful comments, but as pete says, finding faults is a dark art in itself. i'm only good at ti coz i sold my soul to Theakston's.
Understood. Thanks for your input. Are you saying that the symptoms I'm getting might be caused by degraded insulation? It's possible that they may have become corroded by the steam, but I cant find any place where the insulation is actually breached.

Last edited:
Understood. Thanks for your input. Are you saying that the symptoms I'm getting might be caused by degraded wiring? It's possible that they may have become corroded by the steam, but I cant find any place where the insulation is actually breached.
to be honest. it could be anything. is it tripping a MCB/fuse, or a RCD?

Reply to Water Distiller Keeps Shorting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock