Discuss Water heater thermostat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

WallaceP

-
Arms
Reaction score
So i have been having to odd problem when i used my electric boost for the hot water in my own house, sometimes it would not control the temperature correctly and effectively turn into a kettle. I don't use it too often so its never been a priority. My plan was to get a new thermostat tomorrow so I will check the size tonight. I found it was a 7 inch stat that had been installed, and thought it seemed a bit short. When I checked the depth of the housing I found it should be 11 inches. I think this is most likely cause of my problem, which could have resulted in severe burns the way it is currently set up.
This is something I would never have thought to check over in an inspection but now i am thinking i will look out for. Has anyone else seen this? I am wondering how common a problem this is.

The stat shouldn't be tight to the bottom of the stat pocket so it should be less than 11 inches.
If it's a horizontal element fitted in the side of the tank then it should normally be an 11" element with a 7" stat.

As mentioned above any new stat should incorporate a safety cutout device.

Reply to Water heater thermostat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Wonder if anyone can help out, my experience in heating is minimal. So house I was working in had a circuit for the water heater, which went to a...
Replies
Views
I have a Firebird oil boiler that is controlled by a Honeywell timer (no thermostat) that has channels for hot water and central heating...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who has an 18" thermostat in their water tank which periodically requires resetting. I went to replace this but am unable to put...
Replies
Views
I have taken delivery of an undersink water heater. It is fitted with an RCD on the electrical supply cable which terminates with a euro-plug. I...
Replies
Views
Hi All. Its been ages since I have been on here- Fortunately log in details stored on PC. I have just had a new boiler and 210 ltr unvented tank...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock